1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS weenies tell Congress the obvious

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 1, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_sp_co_ne/us_bcs_championship_congress_6<blockquote>WASHINGTON – The coordinator of the Bowl Championship Series told Congress Friday that a switch to a playoff system — favored by fans, President Barack Obama and some lawmakers — would threaten the existence of celebrated bowl games.

Sponsorships and TV revenue that now go to bowl games would instead be spent on playoff games, "meaning that it will be very difficult for any bowl, including the current BCS bowls, which are among the oldest and most established in the game's history, to survive," said BCS coordinator John Swofford in prepared testimony. "Certainly the twenty-nine games that are not part of the BCS would be in peril."</blockquote>Really? Promise? Because that's change I can believe in.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of the "doesn't Congress and the president have more important things to worry about" line of thinking.

But doesn't Congress and the president have more important things to worry about right fucking now?

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Can we just give BOISE STATE!!!!!!!!1 and Utah trophies and be done with it? Hell, throw in half of one for Hawai'i.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It means we would not have our backsides kissed and given kickbacks galore in the choosing of the teams.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The chairman of the committee, from Illinois, sounds like he belongs at a homeless shelter. And he mispronounced almost everybody's names, didn't get the conference names right ... jeez, these guys come off looking like a bunch of doofusses (I know, not a news flash). Don't they have aides who brief them ahead of time?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is always the best part when Congress grandstands. They butcher names and get facts wrong that any knucklhead sports fan with a fourth-grade reading level knows. And they are clueless. Daniel Webster, this ain't.

7. I'm hoping the Utah and Florida delegates get into it.

Mel Martinez: "Play a real schedule!"

Orrin Hatch: "Beat Ole Miss!"

8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'm so glad that Congress took time from their hard work in bailing out the banks and passing all these wonderful stimulus bills for this flourishing economy to now go and fix the BCS --- you'll get my vote next November!!!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is that Bobby Rush?

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

More importantly for the BCS schools, an NCAA-run playoff would mean they'd lose control over how the proceeds from said games get divvied up. Right now, they have to share very little, if any, with the non-BCS leagues. They'd have to share a lot more if the NCAA ran a playoff.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Perhaps Mike McGwire and Sammy Sooser will be available to talk about the past in Congress.

Draft saved Draft deleted