1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS Under Fire...Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jul 7, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It would be no different than tying highway funds to having a .08 drinking limit or 21 year old drinkin age. Congress can put qualifiers on its funds.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But if Louisiana says it doesn't want to have a drinking age of 21, it's easy to withhold funds. LSU can't agree on its own to have a playoff. That has to come through the NCAA, and that's one organization.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

You're not defunding the NCAA itself. You are putting on the qualifier that no federal funds shall go to a college/university that has a football team and is part of an athletic association that does not select a champion through a seeded playoff. And if LSU doesn't like it, it can drop football or join the NAIA. It would be constitutional and is not a bill of attainder.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Even if that were the case, and I'm still not sure it is, you're going to withhold federal funding for research and education over FOOTBALL?

5. PopeDirkBenedict

My point wasn't that it was a good idea. If Congress wants to do something other than grandstanding, then write the bill. The fact that Congress hasn't proposed anything other than the false advertising bill shows how serious they are about this.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

don't take my word for it

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4030992

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, that's going to hit Division III schools as well since the NCAA sets up that level's playoffs based on travel restrictions, not seeds.

For that matter, Division II is broken into four regions before the pairings are decided, also due to travel restrictions.

And I don't think the FCS playoff teams are seeded 1-16 either.

Try again.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

FWIW, if the NCAA, MLN' or whoever isn't going to make changes in their sport, then fuck yeah I want Congress to step in and go forward with legislation or squeeze the ever living shit out of them.

Only on one condition: get the Congressmen who knows and follow sports to handle the committee stuff. Maxine Waters wouldn't know what the fuck the Missouri Valley Conference and their teams if you gave her a map.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As has already been pointed out, it's unconstitutional to pass legislation directed at one entity.

And the state highway funds tied to drinking age comparison does not apply.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I neither support nor denounce the BCS. It is what is is.

BUT .... I don't care what system you have, someone is going to complain, and a playoff doesn't guarantee the best team is the champion.

Can you honestly say the N.Y. Giants were the best team in the NFL a couple of years ago or did they get butt lucky with a guy catching a ball on his head in one game? No. The Patriots were the best team that season but not the champions.

The Florida Marlins have won two World Series but never a division title.

In the NHRA this year, Robert Hight made the Coutdown because his team owner threw a race to sneak him into 10th place but yet Hight won the championship because he was the best over the final four events. Fuck the other 22 that he couldn't make it down the track. He's still the champ.

Jimmie Johnson has won four straight NASCAR titles, but was he the best from Daytona to Homestead or was he the best over the final 10 races?

A term I hate is so and so is playing great "right now" because I don't give a crap about "right now." A champion should be playing well all season long. Anyone who claims otherwise is more interested in a story and fabricated drama than the best team being crowned champion.

For NCAA basketball they take 65 teams and people still complain about not getting in. I'm sorry, but if you're the 65th-best team, then you don't have any right to play for a national championship. And for that matter, I hate it when these at large teams go deep in the NCAA Tournament. What sense does it make when you aren't even the best in your conference but yet you're competing for a national title? Fuck Cinderella.

The only true way to determine a true champion is the European soccer model where every team plays every team twice. Match 1 is just as important as match 38 and back again.

Obviously that isn't practical is an NCAA sport. So, just take whatever system you decide on, go with it and quit bitching.

As for making the bowl system a playoff system, you are going to cost cities a shit load of money, so they aren't going to bite. If a city is hosting two teams in the whatever bowl, folks from those two teams are going to show. If they are hosting contenders, they their fans aren't going to travel to the early bowls figuring they'll go somewhere better in a couple of weeks.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good God, I hope you don't play fantasy football Shoeless Joe :).

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So the Fiesta Bowl is just as corrupt as just about every other aspect of American life?

Color me shocked.

Draft saved Draft deleted