1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS title game thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 7, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I can see the parallel with the 'Bama-Miami game but Miami was an undisciplined team, the complete opposite of a Saban team. As much as I dislike Saban, I respect his attention to detail and ability to get his players to do the same.

Great story about 'Bama's NT, Williams in the Sunday NYT makes me want to root for the Tide but heart is with ND, the underdog, while head says 'Bama.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I recall a discussion last year or two years ago about the possibility of moving up the title game a week or so, or at least tweaking everything in some way, in order to get it in before the NFL Playoffs begin to ransack everyone's attention. Driving in this morning, Mike & Mike was all-NFL, all the time. The local station - and this is the Chicago market - talked some Notre Dame, with the ND beat writer on the air for a few minutes, before shifting to the end of the hockey lockout.

I just wonder if college football has the Major League Baseball problem - people lose interest in the postseason as their teams drop out. Strong conference loyalties - or rivalries, as I'm sure Auburn fans will be wearing shamrocks tonight - probably help prevent some of that from occurring. But the general vibe I got from my sports viewing this weekend was that the NFL was what people cared about, and this was kind of just a minor side show.

Yes? No? I swear I've seen this addressed before in some mainstream publications/Web sites, but I can't remember where or what the evidence was, i.e. ratings, media coverage, etc.

You just have to wonder a little bit if the BCS National Championship is a little too far removed from the end of the regular season, such that people begin to lose interest, particularly casual sports fans.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Which will be worse, ND fans crowing about a title or Alabama/SEC fans crowing about a title? :eek:
    I'm going with 'Bama in a close one, 17-14.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think this offense is the best Saban has had. The defense is worse, but it also is very young and hopefully improved during the month off.

And, Dick, there are more SEC fans arguing Alabama shouldn't have made it than Notre Dame shouldn't have. (Yes, that group is almost entirely composed of Auburn fans.)

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see how there could even be a logical argument that Notre Dame shouldn't have made it. Of course, in the hypothetical, it is the SEC fan base we're talking about.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've gone back and forth all day but I'm going with Alabama 28 - 14. Just don't see ND stopping 'Bama run game. How matchup of Nix and Jones goes early will be an indicator of how game will go. If Jones can control Nix it free's up the G's to get the ND LB's.

It would a huge switch but if I were Kelly and had a month to prepare for Alabama I would switch my D to a 4 -2 so guards are covered.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Notre Dame has run a lot of 4-3 this year. It wouldn't be a huge adjustment for them to go to the 4-3 more often in this game.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I beleive they ran it almost exclusively against Navy.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm barely three hours from actually rooting for Notre Dame.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Notre Dame 17, Alabama 16.

Because it's time someone else won and Alabama's offense isn't that scary when they play teams that can stop the run.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I live in SEC country, too, and have not heard a peep along those lines. Maybe back when the debate was brewing and five or six teams were in the mix, but not since the SEC championship game. By any measure, Florida was the third-best team in the SEC. No one in their right mind would say they'd deserve to vault an unbeaten team.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reading some of the preview stories, I had no earthly idea Brian Kelly was going for his 200th career win tonight. I looked it up, thinking the AP got it wrong and meant Saban (who has 153).
    The 13 years at Grand Valley State account for most of Kelly's wins, but I didn't even realize he'd been a head coach that long.

Draft saved Draft deleted