1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS title game thread: Nick Saban will burn every hat in Louisiana if he has to

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think the game merits its own thread. I may be biased. That bowl thread is 40-something pages long, though.

The game is Monday at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN, ESPN 3D and ESPN3.com. There's something called a GoDaddy.com Bowl on Sunday night, but I lost interest when I found out it involved neither Danica Patrick nor Nikki Cappelli.

Anyway, let's just quickly review 11 key players on each team to validate this being its own thread.

From the No. 2-ranked University of Alabama Crimson Tide, who are 11-1 ...
    • Junior inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower: He's the heart of the nation's best defense and an imposing tackler.
    • Senior safety Mark Barron: He doesn't have huge NFL upside, but he's as polished as any safety I've seen in college.
    • Senior outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw: Everyone compares him to LaMarr Woodley, but he's nastier.
    • Senior nose tackle Josh Chapman: He absolutely absorbs blockers and still makes plenty of plays.
    • Junior cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick: He's great in zone and against the run, but senior DeQuan Menzie may be better in man.
    • Junior running back Trent Richardson: There is no better running back in the nation, and he often lines up at receiver.
    • Junior tackle Barrett Jones: Battered knees haven't kept him from being the best Tide lineman since Dwight Stephenson.
    • Junior guard Chance Warmack: He is a vicious run and pass blocker who should be a first-round pick next year.
    • Senior tight end Brad Smelley: He plays a hybrid H-back/fullback/tight end role to perfection.
    • Sophomore quarterback AJ McCarron: He takes a lot of heat, but he's tremendously talented and may be great down the road.
    • Junior long-snapper Carson Tinker: He's a second-year starter who was the center of a tragic, inspirational tale.
    From the No. 1-ranked Louisiana State University Tigers, who are 13-0 and the Southeastern Conference champions ...
    • Junior cornerback Morris Claiborne: He will likely be the top pick from this game in the 2012 NFL draft.
    • Sophomore cornerback Tyrann Mathieu: We have been assured that he do, in fact, care. And he makes big plays, too.
    • Sophomore defensive end Sam Montgomery: The Tigers have seven really good linemen; Montgomery is the best.
    • Sophomore safety Eric Reid: He made the key play in the Nov. 5 game, and he's a top-flight NFL draft prospect for 2013.
    • Junior defensive tackle Michael Brockers: He more consistently caused problems for Alabama than anyone else on Nov. 5.
    • Senior guard Will Blackwell: He's considered the leader of an offensive line that does its job quietly and efficiently.
    • Junior wide receiver Rueben Randle: He can be erratic, but he's the most talented receiver playing.
    • Senior fullback James Stampley: He and sophomore J.C. Copeland are monster blockers with four carries between them.
    • Senior quarterback Jordan Jefferson: He played pretty well against Alabama on Nov. 5, and his running could be a key factor.
    • Freshman punter Brad Wing: For my money, he's the best in the nation with his precision boots.
    Roll Tide.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's Dont'a Hightower.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

9-3 LSU.

Combined number of yards: 405

Combined number of punts: 13

Combined number of turnovers: 5

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a hunch, growing stronger by the day, that Alabama wins relatively easily, say 20-6 or so.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I just saw that Alabama is a 1 1/2 point fave, and the o/u is 40 1/2

First of all, I think LSU wins, and I don't think there is a way in the world it gets to 40 points.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am with you on this one. I have thought all season long Alabama is the better team. I also thought Alabama would win the first time around. I was wrong. I don't think I will be wrong this time. . ... unless I am wrong.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

In which case you will be wrong.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Thereby guaranteeing a split national title.

Utter chaos.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Exactly how does No. 2 beating No. 1 "guarantee" a split national title? I can't see the logic whereby No. 3 passes No. 2 after No. 2 beats No. 1.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Another sig bet on that one?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Alabama wins.

In one poll, Alabama jumps to 1, LSU drops to 2.
    In the other poll, LSU stays at 1, Alabama stays at 2.

Oklahoma State would never factor into it.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The number of 40 1/2?

Absolutely.

Draft saved Draft deleted