1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS Standings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BCS rankings are like elections. The results depend on which precincts/games have reported and which haven't yet.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nate Silver's predictions aren't nearly as accurate.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know that's a popular line of reasoning, but it didn't happen in a vacuum or by the snap of someone's fingers. It was earned over time. And it wasn't always that way. And it doesn't have to stay that way.

Auburn is the only undefeated team from one of the power conferences to get left out of a BCS title game. The team it was closest to for that No. 2 spot (Oklahoma) got its doors blown off by USC. Since that time 7 SEC teams have played for the title, and all 7 have won.

At any point during those years another team could have slapped the SEC team down and made a statement, one that would have taken away the benefit of the doubt given SEC teams. 7 chances. 7 failures.

The SEC has a mythical "50% chance of winning the BCS" because they completed a monumental "1-in-128 chance" of going 7-for-7 with the title on the line. That was earned. Over time. And it can go away, too . . . if someone would just beat them.

4. Michael_ Gee

Teams create dynastic success, not conferences. The SEC's run is directly attributable to Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Now that Meyer's in another conference, I predict the SEC will become at best first among equals, not dominant, in the future.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Michael_Gee, stick to baseball. The success is mostly due to population shifts, a large base of young black men who tend to be best at football and the popularity of the sport in the South.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. UCLA hadn't really been tested until last week and the offense did nothing in the loss to Stanford. In other words, it's not as big of a win as it would have been a week ago.
    If Oregon beats UCLA and then takes Stanford on the road, I'd say it's almost a given they slot above FSU. The Oregon-Stanford game, like last year, is shaping up as the Pac-12 game of the year.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LMAO! Oh, me neither.

8. Michael_ Gee

Versatile, all the factors you cited where in play prior to the start of the SEC teams' run. Take away Saban and Meyer, and that's six of those seven titles gone. Where's Florida now? Where was Alabama in the Mike Shula era? The SEC has always been one of the strongest conferences around since I was a kid. But it was NEVER this dominant nationally until those two coaches showed up. not even with Bear Bryant.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think you're on the right track, but it goes a little beyond Saban and Meyer, IMO.

Most of the teams have seen a coaching upgrade since the 90s. The teams that had the likes of Jim Donnan, Brad Scott, Woody Widenhofer, Gerry DiNardo and Terry Bowden all have stronger coaches now.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Six of the seven? We're giving Nick Saban credit for Les Miles?

And Auburn deserved at least a shot at the 2004 title, while LSU did win the 2003 title.

Plus the league has dominated nonconference play throughout the span, including non-powers. Remember when 8-4 Mississippi beat 11-1 Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl? There are many similar examples.

Also, the shifts I'm talking about were gradual but came to fruition all at once. Even before these players reached college, the South is dominating recruiting rankings for a reason. And it's dominating the NFL draft for a reason.

11. Michael_ Gee

I apologize for unfairly slighting Les by omission. But then, he's pretty used to slights by now.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the SEC has taken advantage of some bad/mediocre coaching hires by some of the power schools.

Florida State didn't make a bad hire, but they did fall a bit during Bowden's final seasons and the first couple under the new regime.

Nebraska hasn't gotten back to the level it was before Osborne retired.

Michigan hasn't been a top team in awhile.

Even in the SEC, Tennessee hasn't been a title contender in about a decade.

NCAA sanctions and a bad coaching hire knocked USC off it's pedestal.

The result has been much less parity.

Draft saved Draft deleted