1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS Standings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Big Ten is definitely down, but there are still a handful of Top 25 teams (Wisconsin, Northwestern (for awhile), Michigan...) at least with bigger conference schools there is actually the chance of being upset, that I'm not sure was as common in the WAC and MWC. But yeah, running the table in the Big Ten is not even close to being as impressive as it is in the ACC, SEC, Pac-12. You could easily say the same thing about the Big 12 and the Big East these days too...

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's true, but Oregon would have destroyed ND by 50 points last year had a one-loss Pac-12 team been able to play in a title game. (Of course, I readily admit ND was the undeserving part of that equation, not Alabama).

The same could be said of the one-loss 2008 USC Trojans against Ohio State, had they been taken over one-loss Florida.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey, Creighton has a hell of a football team.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There are two ways to spin the SEC stuff. On one hand, you can say well, Texas A&M, LSU and South Carolina all have two losses and South Carolina and Florida each have three.

On the other hand, with the exception of Florida losing at Miami (a top ten team), all those losses have come to other SEC teams. So one can argue "well, the middle-tier teams (Ole Miss, Tennessee, Auburn, Missouri) are better than in the past".

So is the league weaker or just more balanced?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've got nothing on this, other than FSU will fall back in SOS with its biggest game done with. Undefeated Bama/Mizzou SEC winner and undefeated Oregon are still the matchup right now. Still 8 undefeateds who count for a natty.

6. Football_Bat

For now, yes. Only when we ever have 5 worthies will 8 teams come into play.

Don't say it won't ever happen, especially as the 5 super-major conferences coalesce.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Are there people who really think Missouri, Baylor and/or Texas Tech could actually finish undefeated?

If Louisville couldn't do it in the AAC, I can't fathom any of those three doing it.

8. Football_Bat

Missouri can. The SEC East is pretty average by SEC standards this year. They go at Kentucky and at Ole Miss. They host SC, Tennessee and A&M. Then they'd draw Bama Dec. 7 in Atlanta, and flip a coin.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Flip a coin? What kind of coin is that? If this is the same Alabama team I saw highlights of shutting out Mississippi and Arkansas, the Tide will win by 30.

Does anyone really think Missouri is going to sweep South Carolina, Ole Miss and Texas A&M? It's Gary Pinkel, for crying out loud!

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I know I'm in the minority among most of my colleagues, but I disagree that the SEC has dominated. Alabama, LSU and Florida have been dominant in the BCS title picture, but outside of Auburn that one season, the rest of the SEC has just fallen in line.

Like doctorquaint said, the SEC's dominance comes from winning however many BCS titles in a row now. That streak, though, is largely aided by the fact that the SEC starts the season with a 50% chance of winning the BCS. No other conference can say that. The SEC knows that even a 1-loss (or 2-loss) champion still has an above-average chance of playing for the BCS title.

Now, I'm not saying the SEC isn't the best conference out there. I think it is. I just don't think the margin between the SEC and the rest of college football is that great. And the bowls seem to prove that year in and year out (and I'm not talking about head-to-head records, I'm talking about how the games play out on the field in terms of being competitive).

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Look up bowl records and nonconference records from the past eight seasons, then return to this thread. Thanks.

So, does 13-0 Missouri jump 13-0 Oregon and/or 13-0 Florida State? Clearly 13-0 Ohio State would be behind 13-0 Missouri.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, if Missouri manages to beat Alabama, they get a spot in the national title game. By that time, I'll be a tenure-track professor at Harvard.

Draft saved Draft deleted