1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS national championship game running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 3, 2009.

1. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Re: Gators / Sooners - Break It Down

I wondered who this board's designated Asshole-In-Charge-Of-Making-Newbies-Unwelcome would be. Thanks for clearing that up, Angola.

Not sure where you got that I was comparing Utah's OOC to USC's. Utah went undefeated and no one else did so they don't need to compare schedules with anyone (as long as there were some good wins and Utah had some). What I meant was that USC and Texas aren't in the BCS game because their schedules didn't measure up to UF's and OU's. I think USC made a good effort but ND and UVa weren't good enough to help them. Texas has a better argument than USC (provided Texas beats OSU) because their schedule was tougher.

For better or worse, that's the system now -- if you're not from one of the top conferences (SEC and Big XII this year), you better have enough good games OOC to make up for it. One isn't enough. Hopefully that will happen often enough so that all the contenders will start scheduling against other OOC contenders and we can have a better season. I agree that it sucks when your schedule includes someone that was good when you scheduled them but is down now.

Without a playoff, I think an objective system based mostly on SOS is much better than the subjective votes we used to have. The "experts" have proven many times that they can't look at two teams and tell you which one is better -- they're called "upsets". If you emphasize SOS, maybe there will be fewer games against FCS schools and more in-season inter-conference games worth watching.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think USC could run the ball consistently against Oklahoma.

Texas ran for 161 yards against the Sooners in their win. USC averaged 194 a game, while OU averaged giving up 128 yards per game for the season.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As I see it Florida / USC / Oklahoma are the top 3 teams.

Breaking them down further in order of best offense/ defense this is what I see:

Offense

1- Florida
    2- Oklahoma
    3- USC

Defense

1- USC
    2- Florida
    3- Oklahoma

In a perfect world USC would be playing Utah and Florida would be playing Oklahoma - Florida and USC would meet in final .

4. Boom_70

Re: Gators / Sooners Jan 8 - Break It Down

Leaning towards the Gators in close game based on 3 things

1 - Special Teams
    2 - Dan Mullin Play Calling
    3 - Percy Harvin at 100 %

Play calling might be the most important factor. Florida has the ability adjust their play sequence quickly to exploit what defense is giving them. Their multiple sets make it hard for defense to adjust to and defend consistently.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Texas disagrees.

http://www.whatifsports.com/decmadness/bracket.asp?r=4

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Despite all of the whining from Texas and Utah, this is the national title game and one that should be a lot of fun to watch -- two great programs facing each other for the first time and each led by a Heisman Trophy winner.

I'd give the Gators the slight edge. OU is definitely hurt by the loss of DeMarco Murray but they're still going to score a lot of points. I was really impressed with the Sooners' extensive and effective use of the hurry up offense. Most people focus on Bradford's passing ability but I was really impressed with his overall poise and the way he adjusted at the line of scrimmage. He's a pretty special player. TE Jermaine Gresham can change a game but he will need to bring his hands.

It will probably come down to which team adjusts better defensively. If linebackers Keenan Clayton and Travis Lewis and CB Dominique Franks can make some plays, I think OU has a decent chance.

7. Boom_70

I think the TE's are the linchpins for both teams. Bradford loves to throw to Gresham on drag pattern off play action when wide outs clear. Florida uses Hernandez all over field to block and run the seam patterns.

Agree on Murray - it makes a big difference in how Florida can play Defense. Murray killed Tech

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

FYI, it ain't Angola. In fact, he isn't even considered for the practice squad.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've declared Utah the national champion - Thurdsay night is just another four hour exhibition.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The performance of Texas and Texas Tech in bowl games has not favorably influenced my assessment of Oklahoma's chances.
    If the Sooners get blown out, THEN USC may start bitching with justification. But I'm with Poin. Utah is my mythical national champ. And one man's myth is as good as another's, and much better than the BCS or ESPN's myths.

11. Boom_70

Now you need to get Obama to invite Utah to the White House.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'm not that concerned about the loss of Murray. He has shit for RB instincts anyway, and most of his big runs came after Bradford had teams on their heels defensively.

The OU running game is interchangable, and Chris Brown isn't much of a dropoff from Murray.

Draft saved Draft deleted