1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS national championship game running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Re: Gators / Sooners - Break It Down

The team that "doesn't want to be there" will lose. According to a bunch of folks here, that has been the deciding factor in pretty much every game so far.

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

The team that "shows up" will win.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm not so sure it's the SEC speed that wins this, OU's got excellent speed at its skill positions.

I think the key may be SEC tackling. The Big 12 defenses to this point would have difficulty bringing down tackling dummies. We did a chart of comparitive defenses in the SEC and Big 12 this morning, the differences in rankings are startling.

Now, the flipside to that argument is the Big 12 offenses are just that good. With the way the bowls have gone so far, I'm not buying that.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree overall team speed is equal between Fla and Oklahoma. If anything the difference might be on the Lines. I think Oka has bigger and more physical players on both sides of the ball.

I am leaning towards Fla if Harvin plays. He tilts the balance. Murray will be missed by the Sooners

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Boom, I agree that Murray being gone is a big deal. I think that makes the difference in a close UF win.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone know the scoop on Harvin ? Will he be at 100%.

Here is one thing to look at early . Bradford love to through to Gresham on TE drag. Tech let him get off the ball to easy . I bet Fla tries to slow him down at LOS.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because they're undefeated? If that's your ONLY rationale, I can see it as a way of sticking it to the honchos of CFB. But remember, they beat a team that several people admitted they were only ranking number one because they hadn't lost, not because everyone thought they really were the best team.

Otherwise, I still think USC is better than Utah, the Oregon State situation not withstanding. I also think USC is better than Oklahoma. I haven't seen enough of Florida to make the same judgment.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The offense/defense disparity in the Big 12 makes it impossible for me to have any handle on what to expect from Oklahoma, and therefore, to make even an uneducated guess as to the outcome of this game.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

For sanity's sake we need Oklahoma to win a shit ball, 10-6 game, or something, Texas to drill Ohio State and the AP to vote either Texas, Utah or Ohio State the champion.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

This game comes down to one thing: Florida's defense is better. Not by a whole lot (after all, Oklahoma did hold Texas Tech to 21 points), but still better.

It won't be Florida-Ohio State lopsided, but still not close.

Florida 41, Oklahoma 21

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't have a problem with that happening, but no fucking way Oklahoma's defense holds ANYONE halfway decent, much less Florida to that few points.

12. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I think the AP poll should stick with its historic practice of voting any undefeated team #1. Utah is way more deserving than the BYU team that won the '84 Holiday Bowl to finish undefeated. Utah impressed me in their game against Bama and I think they earned the recognition of an AP title.

Winner of the UF/OU game gets the crystal football and the "official" #1 claim, of course. USC and UT can continue whining about how they are better and then go schedule some better OOC teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted