1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but I don't think conferences go into expansion with the mindset of "crushing" another conference.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

What does Boise State bring to the Big XII other than a good football team? I can see TCU and Arkansas fitting the mix, but Boise State?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A good football team would be enough. We are talking about one of the best football teams of the last decade.

I'd rather have Boise State than Iowa State or Baylor and maybe even K-State.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

All about money.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I agree it would be cool, unfortunately, no one cares what we think.

6. Armchair_QB

Outside of football Boise State has a horseshit athletic department. Makes no sense to add them at all.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Going back to the original article Moddy posted: I agree that if the Big 10 expands, the SEC will follow suit.

Just can't imagine it would be Texas (or A&M, Oklahoma, etc.).

The Horns have a great football setup in the Big 12 south that sees them play a good schedule every year and (usually) end up with a BCS payday. To get thrown in with Florida, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, etc. would shake that up too much.

I would guess they're more than content to play foes like that in bowl games, or maybe an occasional nonconference matchup.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I don't see where UConn is the New York market? its in between NY and Bos and there are Sox and Yankee fans across the state, but I don't think that people in New York say "you know, there is nothing to do in the City this weekend, lets go to East Hartford and catch a game."

Hartford as a TV market by itself isn't bad top-30, but its certainly not New York. I would say Pitt makes more sense, but isn't JoePa still fighting that battle?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If a Big 12 team leaves to go to the Big 10, it is a stretch, wouldn't Arkansas go to the Big 12. Someone mentioned it on here before. Arkansas could do better in the Big 12. Then the SEC is left scurrying.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that NY doesn't give a crap about college football. Football-wise, UConn would be a non-catch

11. Armchair_QB

In terms of number of TV sets that would actually tune in Nebraska makes more sense than UConn or Rutgers.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's the way I understand NYC as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted