1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’m guessing some of the stronger G5’s (like Boise State in its heyday) had to offer to play for free just to get a P5 to play them.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The news about ABC paying $300m a year for the tier 1 SEC rights was on the bowl thread.
    CBS Sealed Their Fate to Lose SEC Football With Over a Decade Left on the Deal

But I have to think the news put some pieces in motion for other conferences as well. (Maybe even NASCAR). Fox has their $250m a year deal with the Big 10 through 2027. NBC or CBS would be good fits for the Pac-12 or the ACC. They each own multple stations in both leagues - they both have cable sports properties. I'm sure the Pac-12 would be willing to have their third or fourth games on ESPN at the 1030 et slot - but I know they'd like more featured games during the day.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Traditionally if you are going to supply the body in a body bag game, you do it for the money, so I have to agree.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NBC and the Pac-12 would be interesting with its O&Os, NBCSN, and all the regional sports networks in one bundle — CBS doesn't one any RSNs. If NBC drops NASCAR and wants to fork over that much cash, it could be a match.

5. drexler

drexler New Member

I remember reading about this at the time and I'll edit this with a link if I find one.

Basically, to throw together a schedule at the last minute with almost every other team contracted, UConn approached a number of schools and said, "Hey, you are playing each other in a non-conference game. Why don't you each play us instead?" So it was something like Virginia plays UConn instead of Army, and Army plays UConn instead of Virginia, and same thing with Duke and Navy.

Ole Miss was interested, but Middle Tennessee was not, unless it was able to keep the Ole Miss guarantee. Both teams play UConn but MTSU still gets the money.

Such is life in the cellar, I guess.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The UVA example was with Liberty. LU moved it’s game in Cville next year and picked up UConn instead.

The independence thing is interesting. Clearly doesn’t work well for a school like New Mexico State. But for Liberty, there are a ton of FBS programs nearby looking for games. I think LU would jump at joining the AAC if offered, but that might be the only league it would be interested in. They play a schedule now that is much better than what it would play if it was a Sun Belt member, for instance.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Joining a football conference would be a major departure for Liberty, which aspires to become the Protestant Notre Dame.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The AAC would be such a gigantic upgrade over the Atlantic Sun in the other sports that they would do it. Having a hoops team that won a game in last year’s tourney and is currently 14-0 is not hurting that argument. They’ll be the dominant program in the ASun as long as they’re there, and the rest of that league would not be sorry to see them go.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Iowa State would be a natural to the Big10. Kansas in the Big10 would certainly make it a top 2 basketball conference every year.
    With Duke about to become just another ACC team, jumping all over Kansas makes good sense for the Big10.

If both Big10 and SEC expands, having only 1 non conference football game a year should be implemented.

SEC could do 4 divisions. And a 2 game championship. Semi-final SEC games would generate better ratings and games than any New Years Day non championship bowls.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Well, it would solve the awkward East/West issue (which right now has Missouri in the East). Plus you could split into four four-team regions.

COWBOY: Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas
    COTTON: Missouri, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU
    CRACKER: Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Georgia

And yeah, I'm trademarking those tomorrow. I missed out on Legends and Leaders.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don’t think the Kansas lege would allow KU to leave the Big XII without taking K-State with them. Same might hold for Oklahoma and Okie State.

Wenders likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted