1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What league is home to Hawaii's other sports?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Big West.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would agree with that but I doubt if there is any way in hell New Mexico would allow them into the MWC. Schools in more prestigious conferences rarely let in-state competiters in.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the problem. And Utah State would block the hell out of Utah Valley, which was a JUCO less than two decades ago. NMSU is already an FBS indy for football. With North Dakota heading to the Summit, maybe the Big Sky looks at NMSU and Utah Valley as a package? That's probably those schools' only hope of moving anywhere. Seattle to the West Coast makes a ton of sense.

Could see UMKC going back to the Summit, which only has eight schools right now. Grand Canyon is a for-profit, Christian money factory, and I'm not sure anyone wants to touch them. (See: Liberty.) UTRGV may be the one totally screwed by the WAC dissolution. Who wants that school? Can't see anyone taking them.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Has NMSU tried to get into the West Coast Conference?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Has NMSU tried to get into the West Coast Conference?

Can't see that happening. NMSU doesn't fit their small-school, academic profile. Of course BYU isn't even a good fit with the rest of the WCC, but it sucked it up and took them just to strengthen its basketball profile. The travel to Provo and the scheduling headaches, with the other school having to change their routine to accommodate BYU's "no play on Sunday" mandate, must be enormous.

7. HanSenSE

The WCC is made up of faith-based schools. Most are Roman Catholic, save Pepperdine (Church of Christ), BYU (Mormon) and Pacific (officially non-denominational, but has its roots with the Methodists). NMSU would be the only public school in the conference. Not sure if that's a dealbreaker.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Not unless they go whining to the legislature.

Virginia Tech's unique journey to the ACC :: WRALSportsFan.com

9. HanSenSE

Keep an eye on UTEP as well. New AD will be hiring a new football and men's rings coach. Tim Floyd resigned last night suddenly, went out making a pitch for the Miners to join the Mountain West. IIRC, when UTEP joined CUSA, one of the selling points was most alums/donors don't stay in the area for jobs and a new conference gave the school more visibility in the rest of Texas.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

UNM would probably not block UTEP, considering the Miners' long history in the WAC with CSU, UNM, Wyoming, etc.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm in Texas, and UTEP has zero visibility in my part of the state. The only UTEP story I've read in probably 10 years was the one today about Floyd retiring.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The story quotes Terry Holland as saying there are 100 people on the Board of Visitors. Uh, no. There are 17.
    It suggests the members of the Board are unilaterally appointed by the Governor. Again, wrong. They are appointed by the Governor but subject to confirmation by the legislature.
    There was no decent political explanation back then for the inclusion of the Hokies back then and there still isn't today. The legislature was, like many, going to whack public education anyway. And indeed it has even with the admission of the Hokies. This was understood.
    Gotta have that Roanoke TV market.
    The one thing the SECessionist folks have done right is protect their members' turf. Florida's presence precluded FSU and Georgia's nixed Ga Tech's return, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted