1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No talk of the big move yesterday?

USC Upstate moving to Big South Conference

Also, major rumblings that Hampton is about to leave the MEAC to join the Big South as well.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

About Hampton ...

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Honest question, can you be openly gay or transgender and be a professor at Notre Dame?

So that's what's keeping ND out of the Sun Belt or C-USA! ;)

On a serious note, good move for Hampton, a MEAC mainstay that seems to take athletics, etc., seriously.

4. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Without Hampton, how much longer does Howard stay in the MEAC?

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Pretty much any low major that isn’t an HBCU, you can just throw their names in a hat and sort them any way you wish. I don’t think geography even means as much anymore.

Add: Hampton’s move out of the MEAC could start a trend. I think FAMU explored moving to FBS a few years ago.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

FAMU was woefully unprepared. They're more likely to go to the SWAC than to try that again. The rumor comes up from time to time. Better travel situation for the Rattlers in the SWAC, believe it or not. Quicker trips to the Alabama and Mississippi schools.

I haven't heard much about Howard. Delaware State has been rumored to be interested in moving for years. The Big South, I'm sure, would take them with open arms.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Another small conference move:

Cal State Bakersfield to move to Big West Conference in July 2020

So that leaves the WAC at seven: New Mexico State, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, UTRGV, UMKC, Seattle, Chicago State. What a weird league of castoffs. Not sure there's a place for any of them anywhere at this point. UMKC already left the Summit once. RGV was kick out of the Southland years ago, and the Southland has grown bloated as it is. Can't see the Mountain West ever taking NMSU or Utah Valley.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

UC San Diego, currently in DII, also expected to join the Big West in 2020 after transition is complete. The Big West has remade itself well after dropping football. It's always been a great mid-major baseball conference. Good for Bakersfield as well, with bus trips replacing plane trips save Hawaii.

As for the WAC, it seems to be going the way of the Great West.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The WAC is wack.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

NMSU belongs in the MWC. Then it could dump Hawaii, a football-only member that contributes nothing, and have an even 12 teams. Seattle belongs in the WCC, with the West Coast's other Catholic schools.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Great West.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The WCC is already a pretty decent hoops league with Gonzaga, St. Mary’s and BYU along with some other well-known names (that are admittedly down).

Grand Canyon is an up-and-comer that would be a great addition in a couple of years athletically, although scholastically it’s a horrible fit.

Draft saved Draft deleted