1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

As others have said, the PAC-10 is fine. They've got their rivalries, everyone is on the West Coast, they all play each other, and they have the nice little Rose Bowl tie in. No reason to expand.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why does Penn State have to be split from Michigan & OSU?

3. bwright

bwright Member

Why would you want all three decent programs in one division? I guess if you're Iowa or Minnesota you like it.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I remember that being the argument against having Florida State and Miami in the same ACC division.

5. Armchair_QB

They're decent now. There is no guarantee they'll be decent in 5-10 years.

When the Big 12 was put together there was all kinds of screaming about how unbalanced the divisions were and how unfair it was that the big three of Nebraska, Colorado & Kansas State were in the same division and would dominate in football forever.

Gerrymandering divisions in order to create "balance" does not work.

6. Armchair_QB

The argument for splitting FSU & Miami up had noting to do with competitive balance. It was all about the ACC wanting to have both of them in the championship game.

That's worked out real well.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You'd be taking three of the top-10 winningest programs of the last 50 years and putting them in the same division. Sorry, won't work. This isn't baseball, things arent cyclical. In ten years, 20 years, 30 years, Penn State, Michigan and OSU, will still be top programs. Of course each school will have their bumps along the way, but by-in-large they will remain on top.

8. Armchair_QB

I did this kind of quick but here is one scenario that results in a bunch of changes but no changes to the ACC, SEC or Pac 10. This is all predicated on the Big 10 going to 16 teams as is being reported.

Big Ten adds
    Pitt
    Rutgers
    Notre Dame
    Nebraska
    Missouri

Big East adds
    UCF
    Memphis
    Temple

Big 12 adds
    BYU
    Utah

Conference USA adds
    FAU
    La. Tech
    North Texas

Mountain West adds
    Boise St.
    UTEP

Sun Belt adds
    South Alabama- already in the league, will become an FBS football school

Under this scenario the WAC would lose two schools (Boise & La. Tech) but wouldn't be able to replace them and would become a seven-team league unless a couple of FCS schools move up.

The MAC would also lose Temple and would not replace them but would now be a 12-team league again.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Everyone basketball-wise in the Big East plays all of the other 15 conference schools at least once.

12 opponents: Once
    3 opponents: Twice.

18-game regular season.

Just sayin'.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've heard talk of 16, but no definitive reports. I don't see 16. That's an extreme step.

11. Armchair_QB

When JoePa retires Penn State will become Michigan State and those last 50 years won't matter. Hell, Michigan could be on their way to a long downswing too.

And if you want to talk recent history, PSU has been to 3 BCS bowls since 2000. Iowa's been to 2. Tell me again why PSU deserves to be split off from Michigan & Ohio State.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Kevin Harlan's reporting that UConn, Pitt and ND have formally been invited to join the B10.

Mizzou didn't make the first round.

:(

Draft saved Draft deleted