1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Maybe ISU can land in the Southern Conference. That makes as much geographic sense as a lot of this nonsense.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I actually think it would be good for Colorado. What the heck has it done in football and basketball the past decade? Nothing, really. It puts it in a conference where it has natural rivalries with Colorado State, Air Force and Wyoming, and the Buffaloes might actually compete in something.

3. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

If the Pac-10 wants Texas so badly that they're willing to take two teams, one of which (Tech) which will cause their academic level to drop like a rock and another (Baylor) that has has one of the biggest scandals in recent memory and almost never (this year was an exception) in any sport then it's on them.

If the Pac-10 can get Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, OSU, Colorado and Kansas it would be a perfect get.

Anything else has a feel of "Hey, thanks for inviting me to the party, can I bring my two retarded friends."

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So Tech is Muhammad and Baylor is Jugdish?

Or is one of them Sidney?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could kind of deal with Tech in the Pac-10.

Baylor? No fucking way.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It sounds like Baylor is the legacy, who is going to get in, even though the actives all screamed in horror when they showed his picture.

If Texas has the power everyone thinks it does, it would be happy to move with Oklahoma and A&M, which are its two biggest rivals.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

An interesting side story in this will be the culture clash of the Texas/Oklahoma schools merging with the Pac 10. I look forward to seeing those A & M ROTC military heads traveling to games in Berkeley, the city that tried to pass a law banning military recruiters.

Red and blue coming together to make a buck off college football.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Maybe, in all of this upheaval, Southern Utah will finally get its deserved invite to the Big Sky.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I don't think it would be so bad for KU, K-State or Colorado. With that lineup. there's no question the Mountain West would be a BCS conference, which would mean no lost revenue. At this point, that's about the best that trio could hope for -- save for the Big 12 staying intact, of course.

Also, Dan Wetzel blames the Big 12 and Big East for putting itself where it is now by turning down the proposed four-team playoff, which -- looking back -- he calls "a lifeline" to the conferences. Can't wait to read all the dirt on the BCS when that book comes out in October.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AnzmBYWKFsbzFfMt.wjIE0k5nYcB?slug=dw-expansion060610

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Only problem with that thinking is that there is no guarantee this reshuffling wouldn't have happened anyway.

If super conferences mean more money and a playoff means more money, why wouldn't you do both and make EVEN MORE MONEY?

A plus one or multiple-team playoff would have had no bearing on the Big 10's decision to expand. That move was all about increasing the reach of the Big 10 Network.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Wetzel's off a little, too. Sure, a playoff would've brought more money in, but there still would be money to make out there with expanded TV contracts because of bigger conferences with schools in big TV markets. Sure, holding off the playoff made the Big Ten more attractive now because programs are in a worse position, but the bottom line is if they got the playoff money, they would likely have spent it, which means now they'd need more revenue, which they could get from expanded conferences going after more TV money.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

It's a bit deceptive to say that the Mountain West would have the DFW and Houston television markets through TCU and UH. If these schools held the key to DFW and Houston TV markets, the Big XII would have added them yesterday. At best, TCU and Houston are the third most followed teams in each of those markets. I don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tech and Baylor were also more closely followed than TCU and Houston. TCU averaged like 35,000 fans a game this season, with Houston averaging around 20,000 per game.

Draft saved Draft deleted