1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

BTW, how many voicemails do you think the Big Televen presidents have from Iowa State saying "We're an AAU school. We're an AAU school."

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No way Colorado's left behind, not when the Pac-10 wants the Denver market to go with all things Texas and OKC. Baylor might have gotten into the Big 12 because of the political connections, but I don't see the Bears being able to do the same thing time around. I know Texas is the real prize here, but the Pac-10 won't just say OK to dropping the No. 16 TV market simply to appease the Texas legislature. Besides, Baylor and TCU could be a good, religious rivalry again.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Whatever Texas does, Texas A&M will follow. Or vice versa. It's a package deal.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That is. But Baylor -- a small, private, religious school -- isn't.

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I don't know Berry Tramel, columnist for the Oklahoman, but he seems to be ahead of the curve on these recent Big 12 developments. Consider he posted this on June 4, a day before the Austin American-Statesman report by Kirk Bohls

http://newsok.com/is-nebraska-on-the-clock/article/3466077

and he posted this on May 30, almost a full week before everyone went gaga over the Orangebloods.com report.

http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-breaking-up-big-12-hard-but-necessary/article/346464

"The Pac-10 in some ways is like the Big 12. A little isolated. A little behind in television revenue. A little apprehensive with all the talk going on around the Great Lakes.

A confederation of A&M, Texas, OU, Kansas and two from the group of OSU, Tech, K-State or Colorado (let the politics sort it out; my vote is OSU and Colorado) could join Arizona State and Arizona to form an East Division of the Pac-16, with the eight coastal schools comprising the West Division."

He seems wrong on Kansas, but it is eerily similar to what Chip Brown of Orangebloods reported four days later.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The impression I'm receiving is that Texas is "forcing" a package deal. "If you want us, then you have to take the whole state of Texas and Oklahoma (A&M, Tech, Baylor, Okla., Okie St.)."

If there is one thing about Texas, for as much power they wield, they always look out for the other schools in their state that matter, plus their loyalties/rivalries. Colorado isn't one of them.

If the Pac-10 has a gun pointed to their heads, they'll take the state of Texas and Colorado is left in the cold. $$$$ + prestige + large following = boon for Pac-10.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

"Wouldn't surprise me if all kinds of Oklahomans and Texans called Nebraskans, from football coaches to state politicians, saying don't turn your back on tradition and history and roots. Don't cash in the known and the revered for the unknown and riches."

Tradition? History? Roots? The Big 12 has been around since the mid-90s. How much tradition could it possibly have? What lingering sentiment there was from the Big 8 days died the second Burnt Orange Nation took over.

8. mb

mb Active Member

And it wouldn't surprise me if Nebraska asked Texas what the Horns want them to do. ... And then told them to go piss up a rope and did the opposite.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

"But but but, we're just like Iowa, only we're 2 1/2 west!"

Armchair, I thought Sioux City was Big Red Country?!

Slappy, Beebe will take away the free slice pie from Mike Alden for missing the deadline!

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone heard anything about the ACC and/or the Big East? You would think they would be a natural fit, but I'm not hearing anything other than some mild Rutgers talk. Considering where they are located, you would think the ACC and Big East would try and do something to upgrade their status as perennial BCS undercards.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think the Big 12 was throwing Mizzou and Nebraska a little bit of a bone this week when they left the men's and women's basketball games in Kansas City for the next several years. KC's hosted it a bunch, but it has also rotated to spots in the South. Of course, Dallas got to keep the football title game, but who can argue with keeping it in JerryWorld?

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not sure how much bone-throwing that is, especially considering the state of Nebraska basketball. It would just seem natural -- North schools like Iowa State, Kansas State and Kansas go along with keeping the football title game in Texas in exchange for basketball (where they're more likely to be successful) being closer to their home.

Draft saved Draft deleted