1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS is out....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

And yet you root for the cheating Patriots ... thanks again for weighing in. You're always good for a laugh.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh, ha ha! I see what you did there! You took the actions of one idiotic coach in one idiotic moment and applied it to represent a franchise with almost 50 years of history behind it.

That's so original!

Of course, I'm sure you're still calling out White Sox fans right? Cause they totally cheated too! Yeah!

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Please, pass that message on to the following leagues:

• National Football League
      280 Park Avenue
      NY, NY 10017
    • National Basketball Association
      Olympic Tower, 645 5th Ave.
      New York, NY 10022
    • Major League Baseball
      350 Park Avenue
      New York, NY 10022
    • The National Hockey League
      1251 Avenue of the Americas, 47th Floor
      New York City, NY, 10020-1198

4. schiezainc

Hate to thread jack more than I already have, but in what ways have those leagues ruined their integrity on a scale comparable to this bullshit BCS nonsense?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Here's the dirty little secret about big money sports. Ready? Owners, commissioners, league presidents, those in charge, they don't care about the "integrity of the game(s)." As long as the cash registers are ringing up sales, as long as there is revenue coming in from TV and radio and luxury boxes, that's all that matters.

What about the regular fan, you say? Those who are charged with overseeing the big money sports do not care about you or me. We don't make up a big percentage of their revenues. Why do you think ALDS and ALCS East Coast games were starting after 8 P.M.? It ain't about the fans who filled the Fens and Orange Juice Dome.

6. schiezainc

I'm not saying I'm against these leagues making money. Shit, the NFL can move games to South Africa and I wouldn't care. It's their perogative.

But, what justification can you give me for the BCS? The NCAA is the only major league I can think of that doesn't have a legit tournament for its championship. It's up to a system of computers, formulas and equations to decide who is going to be going to the championship game.

Sure, sometimes there might be a clear-cut favorite. That clear-cut favorite might kill everyone en route to a win in the BCS title game, but when you take the intangibles out of your sport, you don't have a sport, you have an organized activity.

A team like Texas might ultimately win this year, but how can you say they're the legit champ and that they're better than everyone else if they don't prove it?

Yes, I know, they might have the best regular season this year. Whoopdie do. So did the Pats last year and look how that turned up.

No playoff tournament=no reason to watch.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Then shut your fucking piehole and don't watch. Several million other people think your opinion is a steaming pile of shit.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not justifying the NCAA's stance. I think it's ridiculous. There should be a playoff. But I learned a long time ago not to tilt at windmills; that Don Quixotic quests usually end badly.

Until the school presidents want a playoff system, only then will change come.

9. schiezainc

Aww, shucks, that would hurt my feelings if I gave a piss what you thought douche.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is no way a one-loss team from the Big Ten should get anywhere close to the title game but.....

If Penn State is undefeated there is no way any team with a loss should jump ahead of them to get into the title game, I don't care what conference they come from.

Any team that goes through a season undefeated in a major conference deserves a shot at the title (heck seeing how much parity is abound, I'm thinking any undefeated team deserves a shot at the title) if there isn't two other undefeateds out there.

And you can say whatever you want about schedules --- but let's review -- Florida has one loss because of, um, Mississippi and USC has one loss because of, um, Oregon State -- in other words it is hard to win every game these days.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Actually, several million people don't think his opinion is a steaming pile of shit, but we watch anyways.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The opinion about college football is shared by more than you might think, A_QB. I think college football's idea of crowning a national champion is as full of holes as the Chase for the Cup.

The difference is the other sports leagues are a little less transparents about being a shameless money grab. But the NCAA - at least with the BCS - and NASCAR are brazen. I care, many people don't. Life goes on.

Draft saved Draft deleted