1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS is out....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Oct 19, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You leaving Arizona State out of Georgia's non-conference for a reason, or because you forgot the Bulldogs went there and whipped them?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Out of the formula, yes, but not out of the various BCS computers that are part of the formula.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Probably the same reason he also left off Georgia Tech and inserted Jacksonville, which is inaccurate.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember hearing a lot of guff about that needing to happen. Good to see nothing was done. ::)

6. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Nope. Not on purpose, just an oversight. Like I said, no disrespect to the SEC. They play great football.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a discussion about college football this year. And that's saying something.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They jumped East Carolina this year. And got repaid with enough fail to float a floatilla of failboats

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Certainly not the dumbest I've heard, and it will likely be surpassed in the months to come anyway. I do know that the system is designed to pit undefeated teams from participating conferences against each other. If Penn State is undefeated, it belongs. We can't get into some kind of "Which conference is BETTER!!!!!!" argument.

Also, editorhoo: let's not fellate Ohio State THAT much. Yes, the play a single "name" team in nonconference every year. But the rest is filled with the likes of Ohio U. As long as a USC schedules three nonconference BCS schools just about every year (and frankly, UCLA's nonconference is seldom the Sisters of the Poor), then the bar is raised for the rest. No BCS conference school should ever schedule a D I-AA school, and they should do what they can to get the six top conferences (and a BYU or two spinkled in) to play each other in nonleague games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Several years ago Ohio State, very publicly, decided to play all the D1 and IAA schools in Ohio as well as Youngstown State in order to give themselves a win, but opting to give those schools one goodsize paycheck game.
    Playing a D-1AA outside Ohio, yeah. You are right. Playing Youngstown State? I argue with you. good for OSU; more larger state schools (Hello Alabama and Auburn) should do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's fair for tOSU . . . . and I get scheduling Youngstown State for Tressel.

But what's every other school's excuse?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Everybody wants 7 home games because they want the revenue.

Draft saved Draft deleted