1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS is out....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Oct 19, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Then let's cancel the fucking season right now. No more games, let's save time...

Unfuckingbelieveable...

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Utah (also MWC, just like BYU) is still undefeated, as is Boise State.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What she said, but here's a little twist - Oklahoma could win out, not win the B12 South and end up in the BCS title game.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know, but BYU at No. 9 was the only one that had a realistic shot at getting into the title picture with teams ahead of them losing. Utah and Boise are ranked too low to be there in the end and have too many rungs to climb.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Only because voters refuse to jump the little guys like they do the Oklahoma States of the world (for the record, I don't think BSU would ever belong in a title game. The MWC is probably better than the Big East and the ACC this year, so Utah could).

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Computers only see a two-score loss.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

That was my point.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fixed. Margin of victory was taken out of the formula a few years ago.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I have lost complete faith in the Big Ten and couldn't care less about Paterno, but I'm not counting out Penn State's legitimacy. If they beat Ohio State in Columbus and are unbeaten at season's end (which I don't think Alabama will be), then they have earned their shot. Granted, they'll probably get destroyed, furthering the fact that the Big Ten is second tier.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Utah has hope if they win out.

Texas and Oklahoma State play this week. Texas and Texas Tech play next week. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State play the week after that. Oklahoma State plays Oklahoma the week after that.

Ohio State plays Penn State. Georgia plays LSU this week, then faces Florida the next week. Alabama and LSU still have to play. That's all just regular season.

If you assume no upsets against other people and Utah wins out, the Utes should be no worse that sixth, probably fifth in the BCS if the favorites win the games above.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wasn't a conference champion provision put in after the Nebraska debacle?

12. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Take this for what it's worth:

SEC and Big Ten teams have met head-to-head in nine bowl games the last three seasons. SEC has five wins, Big Ten four.

The Big 12 has a 4-1 record against the Big Ten over the same period. Three of those four wins were by a combined 9 points, and one came in two overtimes.

OK, so the Big Ten is a "shit" conference. Guess that makes the SEC and Big 12 a little bit better than a shit conference.

Ohio State has reached the title game three times in the last six years. When you consider that to get there, it not only takes on-the-field perfomance, but polls and computer equations to even get there, that's a pretty impressive accomplishment. Yes, it laid two stinkers, but it also beat one of the best teams in college football history in the third. The Buckeyes schedule the likes of USC, Texas, Virginia Tech and Miami as part of their non-conference schedule. Who does, say, Georgia, LSU, Missouri or Kansas schedule?

Georgia 2008 non-conference: Georgia Southern; Central Michigan; Jacksonville.
    Missouri 2008 non-conference: Illinois (not too bad there); Missouri State; Nevada; Buffalo.
    Kansas 2008 non-conference: Florida International; Louisiana Tech; South Florida; Sam Houston State.
    LSU 2008 non-conference: Appalachian State; Troy; North Texas; Tulane.

Say what you want about Ohio State. At least it routinely challenges top-notch programs in its non-conference schedule and manages to remain a major player in the top 10 every year. Congratulations Kansas and Missouri. You can come up with a good team every 40 years.

And I want to stress that I agree the SEC is the top conference in college football. But calling the Big Ten a "shit" conference. C'mon. How 'bout a little reality in lieu of perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted