1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS bowl matchups

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Can we really count on that? Their home average attendance is about 32 thousand or so (yeah, I know their stadium can't hold much more), and the total attendance at the Poinsettia Bowl against TCU was 34 thousand. I know an argument can be made that the fans weren't excited for the Poinsettia Bowl, but they were playing a great opponent and got the best non-BCS matchup they could have possibly hoped for. The attendance at the Poinsettia Bowl was good for exactly the 27th best of all bowl games that year.

Are 30-40k Boise fans really going to end up in Miami or New Orleans?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the fact that they'd have the incentive of knocking off another BCS Big Boy would get fans to show up big time.

Did they sell out their allocation to the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma?

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

From what i could find, they sold out their allotment of tickets (17,500) to the 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

Here's a hypothetical:

Only one of Boise/TCU finish undefeated. Texas goes to national championship to play Florida/Alabama. USC wins the Pac 10.

Who the hell plays in the Fiesta Bowl? Ohio State/Penn State v. Boise/TCU?

There seems to be a general assumption that the Orange Bowl will pick the winner of the Big East, but I see the Sugar Bowl getting stuck with the Big East champion. I just don't see the Orange Bowl wanting to take Pitt/Cinci and match them up against Georgia Tech. I think Sugar gets the Big East winner by default, much like they got Hawaii.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Let's assume Texas v. SEC 1 in the BCS game
    that leaves the Sugar Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl without a "host."
    The Rose Bowl takes Pac10 (1) v. Iowa
    Orange gets Georgia Tech.
    The Bowl losing the no. 1 team (figure SEC 1) chooses first
    Sugar takes Alabama based on tradition
    Fiesta probably takes the next highest ranked team which if form holds will be either the the top non-BCS team or Cincy, I think they'd pick the non-BCS school or USC if its available.
    Orange picks next, I think they take Cincy (next highest ranked team)
    Fiesta picks next, I think if they have USC they don't pick a Big 10 team, but pick the next highest ranked team (Boise/TCU)
    Sugar picks last, I think they'll take TCU if available, but would shy away from Boise and go with Bama-Penn State to stir the memories of 1979 (It's the 30th anniversary after all).
    A couple match-ups we won't see - Alabama-VTech or Oregon-Boise State.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Why would the Orange Bowl ever pick Cinci over Penn State?

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thing is, they don't have to be that good. Navy, Pitt and Stanford, while tricky, isn't exactly Murderer's Row.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Huh. What do you know. Dunno where I got that idea, then.

I'd be curious to see how many Boise fans traveled to Fresno State or Bowling Green. Not the world's most exciting games, to be sure, but last year Georgia took 20,000 for a non-conference game at Arizona State. That's why bowls still take bigger programs.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Boise Cincy? BOOOOO! Who wants to see Cincinatti?

I feel like they aren't as much of a mid major as Boise or TCU.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That was my point. I think most agree that if TCU and Boise win out, TCU gets the nod because of strength of schedule. But if Oregon is in a BCS bowl (I know, long shot, thus the prayers), an undefeated Boise State has a legit claim. The claim may fall on deaf ears, but it's legit.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, it really doesn't. One victory still does not a BCS-bowl team make. Oregon gaining an extra measure of respect doesn't make up for 12 games of suckitude.

And mustang, just to make sure, you know if Cincy wins the Big East, they have to go to a BCS bowl, right? Even if you don't like them?

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If 12 games of suckitude = 12-0, sign me up

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah. In a perfect world, I would run the BCS and I would combine the ACC/Big East. The teams would have a season long death match and if any one team were decent they could go to the Alamo Bowl or something. The rest could play in the Bell Helicopters Armed Forces Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted