1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS bowl matchups

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 26, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

TCU would not cruise through the Big East and would likely lose to either Pittsburgh, Cincy or WVU and would have tougher games against the bottom half of the league than they have now.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh, for the love of Tebow, here we go.
    All teams not in one of the Big six conferences suck. All teams in the Big 6 are automatically great unless they lose to a non Big 6 school then that team is down.
    So when Utah beat 'Bama, it didn't matter because 'Bama was down. When TCU kicks the shit out of Florida in the Sugar Bowl, it will be, well Florida wasn't really that good, they were just ranked high from the start and didn't lose until the SEC title game.
    West Virginia lost to a terrible Auburn team, this season.
    Pitt and Cincy are suddenly world beaters because they play in an overrated conference that got put into the Big 6 because of the teams they used to have, not the teams they have now.
    The bottom half of the Big East has some of the worst teams in college football.
    All the top-ranked Big 6 schools have major holes.
    No one, outside of the fanbois, can look at any of the top three -- Florida, Bama and Texas -- and not have some doubts about them.
    Florida has played one ranked team. One.
    You could just go on and on, honestly, this is probably the worst year for college football in some time. Not a single, truly dominant team or, for that matter, a single, dominant player.

3. highlander

highlander Member

For the love of Christ, they are not. That's just an asinine statement. The Non-automatic qualifiers aren't equal in the BCS to the automatic qualifiers. The Non-AQ have to jump through hoops to have the chance to play in a BCS bowl.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here's a concept ... maybe already broached: Get rid of the automatic qualifiers. Just take the 10 best teams.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pat Forde had a good column on what a dud this season has been. I'd like to think this year is an anomaly, but with no immediate end in sight of the SEC champ vs. Big 12 champ projected National Championship Game, and really, even if Florida, Alabama and Texas all lost one along the way, we'd still be where we are now - it makes me think I might as well do something else on Saturdays. Between college football, college basketball, NASCAR and the NBA, too many sports are becoming too predictable, and college football seems to be making an extra effort to become MORE predictable. It's not why I became a sports fan.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We already have a competition involving the 10 best teams. It's the SEC regular season.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

After all the debate about Boise State getting into a BCS game, it comes down to this: Texas vs. Nebraska.

If an upset happens, your auto qualifiers are Florida/Bama winner, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oregon, TCU, Cincy/Pitt winner, Ga. Tech/Clemson winner.

Teams up for the last three BCS spots are Florida/Bama loser, Texas, Iowa, Penn State, Boise State.

Florida/Bama loser is a lock for the Sugar Bowl. And Boise State getting in over Texas or a Big 10 team?

Hitch your wagon to Colt McCoy, Bronco fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted