1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS bowl matchups

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 26, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We've got two mid-majors in the top 8. What are the chances that they either end up playing each other, Cincinatti, or whatever craptastic teams come out of the Big 10 and ACC?

I don't want to see Boise State play Iowa, or Cincy.

Does anyone know how the selection process goes? Which bowls get the first picks and so on? I would really like to see one mid-major in the title game. I know that won't happen.

But a couple games between mid-majors and one loss teams could be good

Boise State vs. Florida/Alabama/Texas

Of course all these teams could lose between now and January so who knows.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I think the bowls that lose their tie-in team(s) to the national championship game get to pick first (eg, if the Rose Bowl loses Iowa to the championship game, it gets first dibs on who to pick next).

Beyond that, I have no idea.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Only one mid-major is guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl, and it's the higher ranked team, even if there are more than two in the top 12. So, yes, you could have TCU at No. 4 and Boise at No. 5 and only TCU goes and Boise gets shipped to the Poinsetta, unless the big bowls use an at-large selection on Boise (in this example).

No. 1 and No. 2 teams go to the title game.
    Big 12 champ goes to Fiesta. Pac-10 and Big Ten champs to the Rose. SEC champ to the Sugar. ACC champ to the Orange.

Whichever bowls lose teams to the title game then get to pick. So if Florida is No. 1 and Texas is No. 2, then the Sugar picks first, then the Fiesta picks. Then for the other three slots, this year, the picks go in order to the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar bowls.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If my math is correct there should be four at large spots.

One will go to the other SEC team, one will go to the top mid-major.

Two spots left. You would have to think another undefeated mid-major team would get in as well as maybe a team like Penn State if they win out.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If Notre Dame wins out (unlikely, since only one remaining opponent has a losing record, Wazzou), the Irish would have to go at 10-2, wouldn't they?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Notre Dame goes automatically if in the top eight.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

How high does it have to be ranked to be eligble to be selected?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a threshold there, as long as one eligible non-BCS team gets in.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Unranked with a 8-4 record and no quality wins!

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I fail to see why I have to think that.

If TCU wins out, they'll have earned a spot, and they'll get one. If that happens, Boise's not going to a BCS bowl, no matter what its record.

It will take a very special set of circumstances for two mid-major teams to get BCS bids. Boise's not that special. If Boise wants in, it better start hoping TCU loses.

Remember: It's not about matchups, or most deserving teams (not that Boise would qualify under that criterion anyway), or any of that other crap. It's about selling tickets.

And here's the other thing: You think the Fiesta Bowl's gonna take a mid-major with its replacement pick? No. It's gonna take someone from the Big 12. Having then done that, what do you think it'll do with its second pick? Take Boise, which it already had, or take TCU and create what will most likely be a rivalry game of some sort?

So if TCU goes to the Fiesta Bowl, then you're left with the Sugar and the Orange. (Because the Rose is going Pac 10-Big 10 even if it does lose a team.)

The Sugar takes the SECCG loser, probably Alabama, with its replacement pick. Then the Orange gets to pick, having already been saddled with the ACC champ (quite possibly *shudder* Georgia Tech). Having already had all kinds of problems selling tickets, you think it's gonna invite Boise from across the damn country? Yeah, Georgia Tech-Boise State. That'll be a hot seller. Not gonna take TCU either.

That then leaves the Fiesta and the Sugar. If the Fiesta takes TCU, you think the Sugar's gonna take yet another mid-major team, having had them in the last two games? Again, no. If Penn State's still out there, you think the Sugar's gonna pass up Alabama-Penn State? Or Alabama-Notre Dame? Or, if Alabama beats Florida, then Florida-Penn State, or Florida-Notre Dame?

And that whole scenario assumes Notre Dame's not an automatic qualifier. If it is, Boise has no chance.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Milehigh, the Big East winner also goes to the Orange Bowl.

Also, and this is important, the bowls will pick at-large teams in the following order this year: Orange, Fiesta, Sugar.

Rose gets Big 10-Pac 10 and would pick first if it loses a team to the title game.

If Florida & Texas finish 1 and 2 respectively and play in the title game my guess is the bowls would look something like this:

NCG: Florida vs. Texas

Rose: Iowa (Big 10 champ) vs. USC (Pac 10 champ)

Orange: Cincinnati (Big East champ) vs. Georgia Tech (ACC champ)

Fiesta: Notre Dame (second replacement pick because it lost Texas) vs. Penn State (first at-large)

Sugar: Alabama (first replacement pick because it lost Florida) vs. TCU (second at-large)

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

14th

Draft saved Draft deleted