1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BC football story: Apology necessary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boomer7, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

So, a BC football player mentions the names of a couple of recruits he's going to be hosting, the BC-centric news site reports it, the school reports the violation ... and the website apologizes and takes the story down. Should the site have done either of those things? Or is it only something a partisan "news" operation would do?

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2010/10/boston_college_4.html?comments=all#readerComm

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's kind of tricky.

It's not really a violation for a player or coach to tell you news about recruits and such but it's a violation to publicize.

So if you ever want to hear about recruits or visits or commitments or whatever, you need to know how to play the game. And that means knowing what's a violation and what's not.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No surprise at all it's EagleAction.com. That site works so much in hand with the coaching staff that I often wonder if the owner and writers do the recruiting instead of the coaches.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I think that when you go to Eagleaction.com -- heck, when you type the URL -- you know you're going to a homer website for boosters and school-color-bleeders.

I obviously see nothing wrong with publishing the information, nor do I think the apology and retraction were out of line. I would hope an independent news source would neither apologize nor take the story down, but I got no problem with fanbois being fanbois on fanboi sites. Sucks for them that they hurt the program they cheer, but no harm done on the journalism end of things.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The site would have been better off writing the story, but not quoting anybody.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's never a violation to publicize for the simple reason that a newspaper or web site or radio show or TV show are not members of the NCAA and not subject to their rules. It's a violation for coaches or other university staffers or players to comment specifically on recruits before they're signed. If one of them id dumb enough to tell a member of the media about, there are no legal restrictions from reporting it.

Same misconception about naming juveniles in crime stories. A particular police department, county or state may have laws preventing disclosure. But there are no laws preventing publication if someone does disclose.

Draft saved Draft deleted