1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBWAA: Mark McGwire died for your sins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Jan 10, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

What you're saying, Ace, is the beat writers shouldn't have been following players but papers should have assigned someone else to do it?
    So how long have you lived in this dream world?

And Susan, thank you for a touch of sanity amid the stupidity that people like Heyabbott have been spewing here.
    Don't worry, though, he'll be along soon to tell you that because players denied everything about steroids to you and you didn't pursue it far enough to get the goods on them, you're guilty of journalistic malpractice.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Not to mention, spnited will be checking all our BBWAA cards at the door.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

So where does that miraculous power originate to decide proof is no longer needed?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I've got no beef with you shot. You present a point with reasoned arguments.

It's idiots like abbott who foam at the mouth without having a clue what they're talking about that make me crazy.

I do think, however, we should consider revoking the codas' HOF voting privileges.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sounds like a pretty good question to me.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm willing to bet, dye, that if McGwire had never gone before the Congressional committee and made a fool of himself that he'd have gotten a lot more support for the Hall.

I know of a few voters who said they looked at that guy who was 50 pounds lighter than he was five years ago and listen to his bullshit "I'm not here to talk about the past" excuse and simply decided he was a lying sack of shit.
    Not saying it's right, just saying it was part of the anti-Mac logic.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just as long as you're not saying it's right. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for someone to say, "Come on, now. Some things are just that obvious. You can accept some things by simple observation, and act on them."

And my point is, NO, you can't. If you're making decisions which hold such importance to some people, you need to act on concrete proof ONLY.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have said all along, shot, that I will never buy the "I feel duped" bleating from baseball writers who were, in a way, duplicitous in the glorification of the inflated 1998 HR derby.
    A lot of those guys who were "duped" sat around press boxes thinking and saying that something unnatural had to be going on, there just was not any way to prove it.
    There was a lot of suspicion at the time about juiced players and juiced balls but, again, proving it was virtually impossible.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Heyabbott,

Your rant is definitely justified, but what's going to happen when guys like Bagwell, Biggio, Clemens, Piazza, Henderson (BTW, why hasn't ANYONE mentioned him in the steroid conversation yet? How can a 44 y.o. man look and move like THAT?), etc. are up for election? What if one or two of these guys who have a legit shot at the Hall actually fess up to cheating? Does that improve their stock with the voters, and consequently the public?

PS - Tommy John should be in the Hall. Or at least his left elbow.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Then we're on the same page. All I'm saying is that then, they should not make concrete judgments, such as Hall of Fame worthiness, on something which has not been proven.

If they're keeping McGwire out for baseball reasons (which I think there is a serious case for), fine. But...

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

You are correct, shot.
    The codas just earned their vote back.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted