1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQing a dead son, or why some states need the death penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Apr 17, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Prison for Detroit couple accused of trying to grill son's body

BY BEN SCHMITT • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • April 16, 2009

A Detroit couple accused of trying to cremate their dead 2-year-old son on a barbecue grill, and then hiding the remains while collecting welfare benefits for the child, were both sentenced to prison today.

Nickella Reid, 23, pleaded guilty last month in Wayne County Circuit Court to involuntary manslaughter and welfare fraud in connection with the death of her son, Deuntay Miller. She was sentenced today by Judge Michael Callahan to 10 to 15 years.

Joseph Miller, 28, pleaded guilty last month to second-degree murder for Deuntay's death. Callahan sentenced him to 22 to 50 years.

The case broke when Reid and her mother took Deuntay's 1-year-old brother, Nicholas Miller, to Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit on Nov. 11, 2007, for second- and third-degree burns. Prosecutors said at the time that 35% of Nicholas' body had been burned, and he is still recovering.

Miller also pleaded guilty to first-degree child abuse for the burns Nicholas sustained.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090416/NEWS01/90416077/Prison+for+Detroit+couple+accused+of+trying+to+grill+son+s+body

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

OK, so at first, I was thinking this was some poor couple looking for a cheap way to cremate their lost child ... then ... uh, yeah. Fuck.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Speechless.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm thinking, yes.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I am truly ashamed that I laughed at that. What a horrific story.

6. Wait, so the son was already dead, or no?

Because I don't understand what's second degree about it if they placed a live son on a grill ...

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I think the 2-year-old on the grill was dead, but the 1-year-old was burned as well. I thought that was a little vague, but I admittedly didn't read too deeply into the story.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Was one of the people in the photos supposed to be a woman? Cause I couldn't tell.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Did they brush the kid with Country Bob's Sauce before they put him on the grill?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought this was another Wisconsin thread at first.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Me, too, on the Wisconsin thought. That state rarely has much crime but it's usually damn interesting.

What a horrible, horrible story. At least I've moved past another person on the Worldwide Dad Rankings.

So...any takers on "let's rehabilitate this person instead of giving him or her the needle"? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted