1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBC Looking To Cut Online Budget By 25%

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Horrible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12265173

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If they're not serving an exclusive British audience, the BBC needs to show profitability in areas that get away from it's core mission. That's one reason why the BBC wants to expand the iPlayer to international markets on a subscriber basis.

The coalition is trying to slash costs wherever it can.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Beeb is getting hit hard by the austerity measures in the UK. Its World Service, which is no longer bankrolled by the UK version of the Defense Department, is taking a similar hit.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't know about the whole product, but their sports site has decreased in quality the last couple of years. It used to be my number one daily stop for EPL news, now I hit it about twice a week.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Horrible?
    I guess, maybe from an American point of view and for the folks who will lose their positions, but it really is a different media environment in Britain due to the license fee and the fear that the BBC is overstepping its boundaries and eroding the marketplace for those not funded that way.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Does the World Service get any money for being distributed on NPR stations? My local NPR carries the world serivce. I find it a refreshing alternative to UFO/sportrs talk at night.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd say there's much more fear that News Corp's impending purchase of what it doesn't already own of BSkyB is going to homogenize the marketplace. Most people here, if asked, actually rather like the BBC, the bleatings of the right-wing press (largely controlled by guess who) notwithstanding.

Also, the World Service is still funded by the Foreign Office, and will be until 2014, when it becomes the BBC's responsibility. Given that the license fee has been frozen for the next six years (you're welcome, by the way :) ), the reasons for the cuts start to become obvious.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Horrible, yes, for folks who want their news sorta down the middle, not like xxxxxxxx or sssssssss or elhjplohje.

Draft saved Draft deleted