1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baytown Sun sports copyeditor/sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BujuBanton, Jul 2, 2008.

1. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

The Baytown Sun, a 10,000-circulation daily newspaper, has an immediate opening for a sports copy editor/reporter. The job entails nightly desk work -- meaning pagination skills are essential -- and includes juggling multiple stories in a deadline-driven atmosphere. Versatility is the name of the game here. Our readers expect major league coverage of high school sports. To apply, send resume, cover letter and clips to David Bloom, managing editor, 1301 Memorial Drive, Baytown, Texas 77521 or email to david.bloom@baytownsun.com

Anybody have info on this paper? Close enough to Houston to be cool, but I've heard Pasedena referred to as Stinkadena with all the chemical plants in the area.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Baytown is disgusting.

That is all.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Baytown is right by Pasadena. Same chemical plants and refineries. Part of Houston metro on the eastern edge. CNHI.

Do the math.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

It's actually part of Southern Newspapers, any thoughts on that chain?

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I stand corrected. I was wrong on two counts. First, I thought it was one of the Houston Community papers, which it is not. Second, I thought that Houston Community papers were associated with CNHI, which they are not.

But I'll say this: It LOOKS very much like a Houston Community paper. Which means you'll cover Baytown area preps and Baytown Lee Junior College and not UH, Rice, the Astros, Rockets or Texans...

I've known of people working here and "graduating" to the Huntsville Item, to give you an idea of where it stands...

6. Baytown = full of fail.

And it smells.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Versatility is the name of the game? I thought it was Baytown.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Just to point out, many people confuse Lee High School (Baytown Lee) and Lee College (LC).

Baytown Lee, which produced Drew Tate and Quentin Coryatt, if I'm not mistaken, is called the Ganders. LC's Runnin' Rebels are members of arguably the best JUCO men's basketball conference in the country, NJCAA Region XIV.

Draft saved Draft deleted