1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bayless vs. Aikman, again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm not proud to say I've contributed probably six dollars to Skip's career royalties fund with purchases of Hell-Bent, God's Coach, and The Boys. God's Coach was just weird, with the thesis of it being that Landry was a hypocrite because he was a Christian yet cut players. Yeah, Bayless wrote about the drug use on the team and other unsavory things, but the thing he kept hammering on was that he'd cut guys and how could a god-fearing man do it in such a heartless way?

Hell-Bent's ludicrous, starting with the introduction where he writes something like, "It is midnight. I am writing everything I know. Because that's all I can do." You'd think he was writing in Russia during Stalin's time and was going to expose a few atrocities.

2. Larry Parrish

Larry Parrish Member

I own those Bayless books myself.
    Quite frankly, I was disappointed in Hell-Bent; the hype was pretty intense right before the book came out (I was living near the DFW Metroplex at the time), but for the most part, the content was pretty underwhelming once you got past the infamous first chapter.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll take your word for it that Bayless is born again, but how does one reconcile being a Jesus freak and being close, personal friends with Barry Switzer? I've seen Bozo the Switzer (as a friend affectionately calls him) in his natural habitat, and I am pretty sure the stuff he does isn't what they are preaching at the revival meetings.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to read that whole interview, but does it say that Switzer was a close personal friend? I thought he was more like a close personal source. The former category seems to have a very small membership.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Paul Hackett I think was a friend, not sure about Switzer. And if you read God's Coach, you'd think Hackett was a combination of Don Coryell, Bill Walsh and Joan of Arc.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, aside from the fact that he talks in the interview about "good ole Barry" and about how Barry liked him and was open with him and the fact that Bayless wrote a book that pissed all over Troy Aikman who didn't get along with Switzer, and Aikman wants to kick Bayless' ass and Switzer still likes Bayless (and was presumably giddy over the book), there was this from the interview:

"I was close to Barry and also his daughter, Kathy–who basically lived with him. She was a close friend of mine, so I was privy to a lot of things most people weren’t privy to."

This was obviously more than a source you kind of like aside from him being a source.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

You're right, Larry.
    You were also a hell of a DH.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Bayless has too big of an ego.
    Aikman is classy.

9. Jay Marriotti wants to sit this argument out.

[​IMG]

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Methinks Skip doth protest too much.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yeah, he's awfully interested in which guys play for which team.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Has Skip written a book about his one night drinking with Namath yet?

And his appearance with Lil' Romeo (I think) on First Take was awesome, in a hideously awful way.

Draft saved Draft deleted