1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bayless: Jeter's juicing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's just Bayless doing his "say opposite of Screamin A so we can yell at each other" schtick. I doubt those guys believe half the positions they take, they're just playing roles called for by the show's gimmicky premise.

That said, baseball has put itself in position where suspicion is warranted any time a player has one of these late 30s "fountain of youth" miracle seasons. Especially with new test-defying synthetic PEDs being produced every year.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. If you truly believe that athletes can beat drug tests (despite the many who fail them), then either stop following sports because of moral revulsion or stop bitching about it and making insinuations. Don't try to middle it. You can't be a little bit moral any more than you can be a little bit pregnant.
    2. Skip Bayless makes me very glad sports journalism is my former profession. If that's success, give me failure any day.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You can believe athletes can beat drug tests. ... and not be morally revulted or feel like bitching about it. I agree insinuations are just insinuations. But with what baseball has been through, I am seeing from the opposite perspective. Jeter is a saint. Jeter would NEVER be using PEDs. Well. ... Nobody in baseball deserves that kind of automatic pass. If he's clean, and there is no evidence he isn't, he's a victim of a sport that has been rampant with drug use and filled with players who lied through their teeth about it for years. He should be under the same exact suspicion anyone else is.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Since when does following a sport require belief in its moral purity? I think we all let go of those delusions about the time our little league careers ended, doesn't mean we stop being baseball fans. Your logic makes no sense to me.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with seeing the flaws in sports and wanting to see them dealt with, but still allowing ourselves to enjoy them. Just because I am a sports fan doesn't mean I need to have any illusions about morality among the players, coaches, owners or guys in the league offices.

There are plenty of things wrong with every sport. Baseball still has a PED problem. Using the DH in one league and not the other is idiotic. Using the All-Star game to determine home-field advantage for the World Series may be even dumber. And I know that plenty of people disagree with me, but from my perspective, finances and market size play far too large of a role in the success and failure of major league teams. The lack of a salary floor is even worse. But you will have to pardon me as I ignore your silly pronouncement and continue to enjoy the game.

The NFL is just as bad. The financial system is superior, but the PED problem is worse. The powers that be are completely full of shit when they talk about player safety. The league refuses to punish teams for violating concussion management policy and now it is endangering the players' health by using replacement officials. Teams stuck their heads in the sand for decades regarding the issues of concussions and steroid use. The league's approach to player discipline is a joke, with Goodell acting as judge, jury, executioner and appeals court and they still have far too many lousy human beings per team. The team I have followed and supported my entire life has at least two men that I wouldn't even want in the same county as my daughter. And I enjoy the NFL even more than MLB.

I would like to see all of those problems I mentioned addressed, but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow those concerns to keep me from enjoying the games.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's performance art. It has to be. Bayless will say anything if he thinks it is entertaining and he is way out of line on this one.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe he's right. All those cyclists are dopers!

[​IMG]

That photo is from the newest Men's Journal, by the way.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/in-this-issue-skip-bayless-the-mad-monk-of-espn-20120810

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Two key words in this accusation. Bay and Less.

It takes a special kind of stupid to make Jeter into a sympathetic figure.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

It seems to not be affecting Jeter very much at all. He just homered.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He's right. Nothing should be shocking.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Jeter is a regular user of Vitamin P. Keeps you young.

12. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Wait, I thought women weaken legs. Mickey said so.

Draft saved Draft deleted