1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bayh decides not to run in 2008

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 16, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061215/LOCAL19/61216001

Obama-mania claims another victim (I think Obama's appeal as the anti-Hillary also drove Warner from the race)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bayh-Bayh.

3. Bayh has no national profile. None. And how Obama drove out Warner months ago is beyond me.
    Good al the way around, another Senate seat the D's don't have to contest.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Headline should be, "Guy no one ever heard of not running for president cuz no one ever heard of him".

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Bayh was the golden boy in Democratic circles for many years ... they'd been grooming him for greatness (and possibly, the Presidency) ever since he became the first Dem governor of Indiana.

Bayh's problem is he tries to be all things to all people, which sounds good in a campaign but will catch up to him. In Indiana, he campaigns every six years as a budget-cutting, family-values conservative (basically, he turns into a Republican to get votes in a Republican state).

Then, he goes to Washington and veers very sharply leftward on just about every issue except defense. At least we knew his dad (who was also popular for a time in Indiana, but eventually was unseated by Dan Quayle) was a liberal.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Whatever qualification Giuliani has to be POTUS . . . is completely lost on me.

Not saying he can't be a good president. Just can't for the life of me understand what he has done to make anybody believe he is up to the job.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bayh . . . another guy whose ONLY hope was the smoke-filled room . . .

8. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Scraps of old news=Giuliani

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I campaigned for his father in 1976 (obviously, neither one of us were real effective) and I think Evan Bayh would be a good candidate and good president.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Uh, that's not really the way that went down. Widely assumed that Warner had, um, issues.

11. Only an assumption. None of those "issues" has ever come to surface.

12. I worked for Udall that year, Gold. I still have a "Susan B. Anthony Would Have Voted For Birch Bayh" button. That was a good field.
    We probably drank in the Loser's Lounge together.
    And, whatever happened to Warner, it wasn't Obama, was my point.

Draft saved Draft deleted