1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bay Area bloodbath

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Feb 19, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Slap, I agree with you that it is probably a vital market. In fact, I think it's a market that just begging for someone with deep pockets--Rupert Murdoch, perhaps?--to come in, buy a paper and compete with the Chronicle and Lean Dean.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between the cost of living in the Bay Area, the news consuming audience, and the way BANG has gone poof, perhaps Singleton bit off more than he could swallow with his purchases.
    And if the current rate of attrition followed by declining revenues continues, Singleton could be bottoming out. I wonder if that guy "reimagining" the Merc will still be there once the buyouts are done. Sounds like Singleton is doing it himself. Do any papers still have "hiring" managers?

I think the Bay Area still is a viable market, but the day of the general interest newspaper might be dying.

A sports daily would work there.
    A hard core politics and news daily for the NPR crowd.
    A daily aimed at suburban families with a lot of features on the community and "living" news.
    And I'm sure they already have a thriving Spanish-language daily.

The key isn't the quality of the newspaper, it is how effective it is at reaching a specific demographic or audience. Advertisers don't want to pay for a market segment they aren't after anyway.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Vibrant market in general, dying for newspapers. Singleton pretty much has 'em all except for the Chronicle ... whose owners inflicted their own financial damages beyond those of the industry in general by absorbing the Examiner's staff almost in whole and by paying $66 million to the Examiner's new owners.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'll echo this. Gladly. Loudly.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Pipeline sends along an e-mail from someone at the Mercury News:

The memo posted on Poynter refers to Oakland Tribune, CC Times and other papers in the Bay Area Newspaper Group. It doesn't refer to the Mercury News in one conspicuous way.

Theirs: "Everyone except Operating Directors and me will get the opportunity to apply for a buy-out. Each of you will have the opportunity to apply." The memo goes on to say the buyout package is twice as much as the involuntary layoff package; I don't know what that entails precisely.

At our place, non-Guild employees are eligible for two weeks' pay per year of service up to 26 weeks. As for the Guild ...

"Q: Will Guild-represented employees be offered a buyout? A: No. We will not be offering extra-contractual benefits to Guild-represented employees. Guild-represented employees who are subject to layoff will receive their severance benefit under Article XV of the collective bargaining agreement, as outlined in the next question."

That severance benefit is your lump-sum pension, which you receive when you leave the company for any reason and cannot access without penalty until retirement. Dean couldn't refuse that if he tried (and I'm sure he has). The actual in-your-pocket severance package is two weeks of pay. They'll work you up until March 5, they'll call you March 6 or 7 and tell you you're laid off. Your two-week severance starts at that moment.

It was hateful and ridiculous enough when I thought it was limited to the management/non-management divide at the Mercury News. Now I see that companywide, every worker bee who isn't in a Guild -- the other shops aren't unionized -- gets a chance for some small silver lining.

I don't know if union employees robbed his mother's purse on the picket line or what, but my God does that guy harbor an irrational hatred for organized labor.

P.S. The general feeling in the foxhole is that after the buyouts are decided, Deano will lay off 49 Guild employees, because to cut 50 would require two months' notice under the WARN act.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

the merc is definitely part of this, just to clarify.

from its Web site:

the Mercury News today announced an unspecified number of staff reductions through a combination of buyouts and layoffs.

Publisher Mac Tully cited a serious drop in advertising revenue as the reason for the cost reduction, which will be completed in early March. The reductions will be the third round of staff cuts since September 2006.

The Mercury News is owned by Denver-based MediaNews, which also owns the Oakland Tribune and Contra Costa Times. Those newspapers, along with roughly 14 other daily and weekly papers in the company's Bay Area News Group, announced today that they would offer buyouts to roughly 1,100 employees. The company didn't specify how many positions would be eliminated.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Not a surprise. He loathes unions. See Long Beach and what happened there. And, well, everywhere else.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I get the feeling we'll be hearing more of this soon from all Lean Dean operations, not just BANG and, on the other thread, LANG.

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

by the way, new bosses in San Jose are not too interested in "reimagining" much, as Ms. Hutton learned.

10. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

OK, so maybe he's an ass who hates unions (I know nothing of the man). But shouldn't a little anger be directed at the unions who agreed to that deal?

11. VJ

VJ Member

Who needs to reimagine when you can just cut the workforce and size of the paper in half? Surely that will bring advertisers back!

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Babyjay, why don't you read the Lean Dean thread.
    Educate yourself before you post on a thread where hundreds/(thousands with families) of lives are about to change.

Draft saved Draft deleted