1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bay Area bloodbath

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea how many folks they want gone? And does this include San Jose? (Romenesko summary doesn't specifically say.)

The memo from John Armstrong says that everyone but operating directors and himself will be receive buyout info, with corporate then deciding who actually gets approved to go. It ominously adds that, if it doesn't get enough volunteers, people will be laid off and the layoffs will get only half the severance pay that the buyout applicants receive.

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13148

"We must reduce our operating costs, and we must do so quickly," says a buyout memo to employees at the Contra Costa Times, Oakland Tribune and other Bay Area News Group papers. "In the past few months, we've relied on attrition to bring down the number of employees, but that no longer is adequate. ...We are not announcing the number of job eliminations. ...But I will say this: The number of jobs that will be eliminated will be significant."

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No. Surprise. At. All.

:'( :'( :'(

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Fuck you, Singleton. Fuck you with an unlubricated broom handle.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Good ol' Lean Dean at it again. Wrecked Southern California papers. Wrecking -- as predicted -- Northern California papers. Has his eyes set on the Orange County Register with this "consolidation" bullshit.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Between what's about to happen to the Singleton papers and what's happened to the Examiner, is the Bay Area a dying market?

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Um, I'd venture to say there are many dying markets.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sad thing is, singleton only is one of many fucked up owners today.

my heart goes out to those who no longer will be employed for simply doing their jobs.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I understand that there are many dying markets. I'm asking if the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose area has become one of those markets.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Note to self:

Invent time machine, go back in time, and convince Dean Singleton to funnel his money into the tobacco industry or something similar instead of newspapers.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

With Lean running things into the ground there -- and in less than two years -- I'd say yes.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, btw, fuck DS for what he's done to some pretty damn good papers.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is it still a vital market? Probably so.
    Is it dying because of the owner as opposed to the market itself? Probably more so.

Draft saved Draft deleted