1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Battle of middling turn-of-the-century comedies: Raymond vs. King of Queens

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I guess, from interviews with other comedians, that's exactly how he is in real life.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I saw Kevin James' stand up special on Comedy Central awhile ago. Absolutely hilarious. If he could have encorporated his act into the show, to make the show closer to what he is, it would have been a smash.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like the supporting cast better in Raymond -- not to say I don't like KOQ either.
    Leah Rimini and Patricia Heaton are both outstanding...
    I find Kevin James funnier, but more unbelievable.
    I think as a show, I like Raymond better, but Ray Romano is the unfunniest man around.

4. jps

jps Active Member

kevin james is funny and Leah Remini is hot ... advantage, koq.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He did for the most part. The same goes with Seinfeld and Drew Carey. They take little bits of their acts and put it directly into the shows. His whole shtick -- minus the phone rhythm -- was about how he's fat and lazy. That's all right there. He didn't exactly pretend he was a bear hibernating in a McDonald's, but there are at least 14 cracks at his waistline an episode.

Carey took his entire Comedy Central Presents -- Tim Allen did, too -- and sprinkled it over the first season of his television show. The driving drunk on the sidewalk, smoking is dangerous, etc., were all there verbatim.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The real stars of those shows were Leah Remini, Patton Oswalt, Jerry Stiller, Brad Garrett and Peter Boyle.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There's no way Patton Oswalt was funnier than Kevin James on that show.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The ensemble cast made both shows work, surpassing their stars...

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I see several Marie and Deborah traits in my mom that I always find humor in when watching ELR. Same with Frank and my dad.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Absolutely agree.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think Brad Garrett would've played a better psycho-killer in that dreck of a movie No Country For Old Men.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't say I was ever a fan of either show, but the pole dancing episode of King of Queens had me laughing.

Draft saved Draft deleted