1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Battle of middling turn-of-the-century comedies: Raymond vs. King of Queens

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 3, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I never watched these shows in prime time, but my kids watch them once in a while in re-runs. Very similar shows.

I think that Everybody loves Raymond is a better made show, but the Raymond character is just so lame that I don't like it.

The King of Queens fat guy can be funny, and I like watching Leah Remini's weight fluctuate through the years.

I go with King of Queens. Watcha got?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Raymond by a mile.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

First-run or rerun, both shows are absolute dreck.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm with you on King of Queens. There are few shows that always get me laughing, and King of Queens is one.

I really dig Kevin James' humor. The fat and lazy thing really gets me, and the relationship Doug and Carrie have reminds me of the stuff I went through with an ex. Plus, there's Arthur Spooner. Jerry Stiller is awesome. Few things are funnier than when he asks Doug, "Oh, yeah? Why don't you tell them you're enormous."

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Leah Remini...end of discussion.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Stacy Carosi sure did grow up nicely.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know its not Masterpiece Theater, but the KoQ rerun last night was Doug playing softball for his wife's law firm. He's so good, he's being recruited by another law firm. He hits a long ball, and, while rounding the bases, they show a dream sequence of him being a lawyer, winning cases. As he's rounding third, he trips, hurts his leg, dream over.

I laffed.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was a great one. Doug Heffernan: The ultimate ringer. I loved how he kept calling Carrie and asking her to check his messages.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

They both suck.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

$cientologi$t ... end of discussion.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'll give the show that. Absolutely.

I know it's just TV, but "Raymond" pisses me off too much to enjoy on any level. One, it was just another unrealistic portrayal of a sports writer. The guy was always home and the job never put a strain on the marriage. Sure, I'm buying that.

Two, he's an absolute spineless wuss. If my family or in-laws try to come over to my house unannounced and enter without knocking, I do not mince words. I've even told my mom to get the fuck out many a times when she's done that.

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I loved King of Queens. Kevin James gets me laughing every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted