1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Battle Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Frylock

Frylock Member

I usually agree with Ebert but sometimes I think he just has some kind of extra issue with certain films that he doesn't usually have with similar ones.
    Maybe he thinks Battle Los Angeles glorifies war too much?

2. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I watch movies like this because I know they'll be God-awful. I have no taste.

3. Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela New Member

Invictus is superior.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I actually thought the alien(s) in Cloverfield were the good guys, too, at least insofar as I wanted to see those insufferable hipsters get some serious whup-ass.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It has to be better than the SyFy movie that was on late last night: Battle of Los Angeles. There a huge alien ship descends over Los Angeles and blows a couple fighter jets. Then I stopped watching. Like any movie produced on that channel it was laughably horrible.

6. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I saw Battle: Los Angeles today. It did what I asked of it, which was to be loud and blow a lot of stuff up.
    Spoiler below ...

It was refreshing to see an alien invasion movie where there's no gigantic, city-sized mothership or laser beams. Forgoing the basic premise that they're dealing with aliens, I enjoyed how their technology wasn't "far superior" or fall into other sci-fi cliches. The aliens had mechanical guns, not ray guns that vaporized people. They wore armor. Their jets had exhausts. In a lot of ways, it was a bit more grounded. The talking parts, where the people try to interact between action scenes ... just brutal.

7. Agreed. At the 45-minute mark of Cloverfield, I truly wanted all of the main characters to get The Alien Experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted