1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Battle at Bristol, NCAA Style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Oct 15, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/bristol-speedway-to-unveil-plan-for-vols-vs-hokies-football-game-in-september-2016/2013/10/14/98eb7f2e-34c8-11e3-89db-8002ba99b894_story.html

Va Tech will play Tennessee on the infield of Bristol Motor Speedway, which will seat upwards of 150,000 for the game in September 2016. Other sources indicate that each team will make $4.0-4.3 million for the game.

Bristol Tennessee lies roughly halfway between each campus and is at or near the border of Eastern Tennesse and Western Virginia.

They could hold a football game and a NASCAR race at the same time, but they won't.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll be there as long as I don't have to take out a small loan to do so.

3. heyabbott

Part of the contract between the teams calls for 10s of thousands of tickets to be $40 or less

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are those the seats that are two miles from the field?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

5,000 from each team's share of tickets, I believe.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It will be fun, and the only real reason to go is to just say you were there. The players are going to appear about an inch tall (if that).
    Bruton Smith has been trying to get the two teams to play there since the late 90s. I don't know if it was the brain child of the late Jeff Byrd, but he was all for it.
    This won't be the first football game played at the track, although the first in its current form. Bristol hosted the Eagles and Redskins (ooops, Washington NFL franchise) back in the '60s.

7. heyabbott

The Eagles games was preseason I think, but still a game.
    Bristol Tennessee makes more sense than Bristol England, or London for that matter.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yes, the ones that are so high up you need a telescope to see anything.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How did it draw?

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Beats me. It was 10 years before I was born. Obviously it wasn't 150K because the track seated about 30K at the time.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ok, fine. It's a novelty thing, sort of like the NHL game at the Big House in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I doubt it will become a routine event, but that's the point.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought there was talk that after some work in the mid-00s with the new victory lane building (or whatever it's called) that the idea of this was SOL.

And Bristol was set up much differently back in the days of that Eagles-Skins game. Even into the late '80s, the infield was dirt/grass, and the track wasn't fully enclosed until the '90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted