1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batten down the hatches, west coast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 4, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm thinking large quantities of water causing sediment and rocks within faults to move around and ultimiately the tectonic plates shift as a result. Heard it somewhere, can't remember where, that earthquakes sometimes follow extreme weather events this way. Wild stretch on my part? Quite possibly. And yes, I do watch entirely too many movies.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And a kitten kill (sort-of like a fish kill).

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They expected gusts to 145...

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Earthquakes, no. Mudslides? Most definitely.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Methinks he intended to say landslides.

Still, the wind is already whipping pretty hard in the 801. It's warm and I was thinking of going for a bike ride, but 30 mph winds -- soon to be 40-45 mph winds -- are worse than riding in zero degree temps.

They're saying 2-3 feet of snow this weekend in the mtns and maybe as much as 6 feet in some locations if the 'dreaded lake affect' kicks in.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here is what weather.com has to say. This sounds like a real bruiser. 90 mph winds reported in San Fran this morning and some places will receive up to 12 feet of snow. Gusts up to 150 miles per hour have been reported as well. My sister is flying into Sacramento and then driving south to the Modesto area, hopefully she makes it OK.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The wind is pretty strong here. Stan's been under the bed, hiding, since it started at around 7 this morning.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think they disproved this on an episode of Mythbusters once.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My parents are driving down I-15 today from Salt Lake City to SoCal. Haven't talked with them yet.

Oh, and it's 60 here today at 5,280 feet with just a chance of flurries Sunday.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We need the water ... but not the mudslides.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If he had balls, he wouldn't be cowering under the bed.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Mother Nature has caused one D-I hoops postponement.

Utah State's plane to Reno was unable to take off and even if it had, it probably wouldn't have been able to land. Game to be rescheduled.

Draft saved Draft deleted