1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batten down the hatches, west coast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 4, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Looking at this weather slamming the top 2/3 of California, Oregon and Washington, and feeling bad for those folks in advance. I'm sure they're accustomed to snow, but this is being forecast as a monster store. I'm also wondering: Is it reasonable to expect that the meltoff from all this snow might generate an earthquake or three later on?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Snow meltoffs cause earthquakes?

3. statrat

statrat Member

50 mph winds on the coast of Oregon and Washington? Pshh. We've already seen 110 this year. Unless it brings tornados or 15 feet of snow, I'm not battening down anything.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Flooding? Yes. Earthquakes? No.

Earthquakes are caused mostly by the shifting of tectonic plates beneath the surface of the ocean.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think you've been watching too many movies.

6. poindexter

The western United States can only hope there'd be so much snow runnoff, it'd create an earthquake. It's in drought conditions and there can never be enough snowpack in the mountains.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Bring it on!

8. statrat

statrat Member

Perhaps the snow runoff can cause an earthquake which can cause a nuclear reactor to become unstable, threatening not just the Pacific Northwest but all of humanity with a radioactive superstorm. I think I saw that on the SciFi channel once. If not, I'm copyrighting it and selling it to them.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure that wasn't The Simpsons?

10. poindexter

Flash's jugs on a trampoline have the same chance of creating an earthquake.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But a good chance to start a stampede.

12. statrat

statrat Member

Could very well have been. "Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it!" /south park

Draft saved Draft deleted