1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batten Down The Hatches State House! Here comes f_t!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jan 22, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I got a call sometime last week from my attorney. It'd been several months since I'd heard from her, and since I'd heard that my employer was trying to appeal the hearing examiner's decision to grant my unemployment benefits. I haven't heard what the Board of Appeals decided, but I've still been getting unemployment benefits when I've needed them.

Anyway, she called because a group called the Job Opportunities Task Force was getting ready to lobby in my state capital to maintain unemployment insurance the way it is. Businesses in the state are apparently gearing up to lobby for cuts in unemployment insurance.

I spoke to a law student yesterday or the day before about my situation and mentioned that I'd be willing to testify if that would help. I got a call today and her professor thought my story was compelling, and I will be going to the state capital next week to testify in front of House and Senate committees.

I'm both excited and nervous. I've got a pretty good general idea of what I'm going to say, but I'm still willing to accept constructive suggestions if anyone has them.

The folks in the State House won't know what hit them!
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don't say that you're not there to talk about the past.

Otherwise, good luck F_T.
  3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, don't pretend you don't know English, don't raise your hand if they ask who flew in on a private jet, and make sure you say that what you did might not have been right, but you did it only because you love America so much.

Good luck!
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Plead the fizzif.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would go with the Al Pacino "Scent of a Woman" speech though. It's a real crowd pleaser. Then segue into his "And Justice for All.." I'm out of order speech - then close with "Dog Day Afternoon's" "Attica, Attica..."
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a shred of decency.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't say that a senator has a mistress named Slavery. Otherwise, you might get beaten over the head with a cane.
  8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

they can't handle the truth!
  9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You should just perform Pants on the Ground. That'll get them on your side.
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Say cryptically that you have incriminating photos.
  11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I would make your statement, then strenuously object.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Take a fifth

then take THE fifth...
Draft saved Draft deleted