1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Irish_Italian_Stallion, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I hear he doesn't have to leave the exit for the Advocate. You've got a half decent New Orleans seafood restaurant right there (R&K) and a few others.

That's one of the great culinary stretches in the country, from Lafayette to New Orleans. I'll even throw Houma-Thibodaux in there, if you know the right dives.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I ate at The Chimes for the first time my last visit. I can recommend the boudin balls, crawfish etouffe, duck & sausage gumbo, oysters, alligator tails, shrimp pasta, hushpuppies, and caramel cheesecake.

Also recommend Mike Anderson's, Drusilla's, Boudin's, and Walk-ons (a more everywhere type place but still good). I haven't gotten to try Sammy's Sports Bar but heard it's good, too. I just had a big lunch but I'm making myself hungry again, dammit. Holla.

3. Point of Order --

Think you gave yourself away (to me anyway) with that list.

Definitel need to hit Sammy's and Parrain's next time you're here. See if Cecil will let you come along for hoops.

4. I love boudin, so I would check out any place called Boudin's, but I've never heard of such a place in Baton Rouge. Point of Order, did you mean Boutin's?

http://www.boutins.com/

Does this look familiar?

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

And a big thumb's-up for Parrain's. Excellent food. Really, every place mentioned on this page is primo (primeaux, if you will).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Point of Order

Yeah, that's the place. Sorry for the misspell.

Irish_Italian_Stal,
    There are a lot of us Alabama guys who love to eat. I doubt I outed myself with that one but you can PM me with your guess and I'll let you know.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix New Member

So what's going to be left of The Enterprise sports staff..?

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Dabe is good people in Beaumont. I hope he gets the help he needs and soon.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

To answer two posts...
    The remaining Enterprise staff will be: Dabe as acting SE, veteran Rush Wood as ASE (he has no interest in being SE, hence Dabe is getting a shot as acting SE in a mutual test-the-water period), Johnnie Walters, whose been on staff for a few years, and Ryan Clark, who moves over from news at the start of December. It'll pretty much be up to Dabe as far as how the beats break down, but I think Dabe will take Lamar basketball once football is done and Wood will take Lamar baseball. Walters will handle prep hoops. Clark will take the minor league (ABA) basketball team that's there, help with preps, and get a handle on community sports. Laney was trying to get more done in terms of community sports trends stories (as in, stories on why USSSA is on the rise over Little League and not who won the pee wee league game) and Clark is going to be the point man on all that.

I would expect an opening to be advertised. Will it be for SE or a Lamar beat or an entry-level position? I'm not sure. But I do think it will be filled. Now, whether all five positions still exist by this time in 2009...that's another question.

And yes, Dabe is good people. He has the qualities needed to do well in any business. He works hard, he has vision and he's not afraid to put the two together and make something sing. He'd be a welcome addition on a lot of sport staffs.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You can get boudin at just about any convenience store in Louisiana.

Ruth's Chris in BR used to be a semi-annual ritual for me (usually in July and December).

10. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Best meals I ever had in the Red Stick came at DiNardo's. Even worked there for a bit during my LSU days. Sadly, his not-so-pleasant departure from LSU probably ended things for the restaurant too. Haven't been back in years, so I couldn't tell you what's there now.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What's there now:

http://www.ruffinosrestaurant.com/

As in Ruffin Rodrigue, former LSU lineman.

I can't say I know whether the claim of literally raising the bar is true.

12. Point of Order

That'd be biannual, I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.