1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baton Rouge to flood New Orleans market

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Sep 6, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I believe they have a bureau of about 12 and maybe two or three in sports.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll make this quick. You're wrong about what you said. The only cancer here is your own cancerous attitude.

The market is changing in many ways, but clever and nimble firms can take advantage.

The real problem is that for years, any idiot could run a newspaper and make money. When things began to turn, it seemed like there were nothing but idiots left running many of them.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's a great point. It should be posted everywhere.

4. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Sure, but any business has to invest to get something in return. Most of those idiots you were talking about think the way to prosperity is slash and burn.

These are also the idiots who were slow to capitalize on the web, blamed declining circulation on stories being too long and yet all I hear from people is WHY SHOULD I BUY SOMETHING THAT IS FREE ONLINE or WHY SHOULD I BUY SOMETHING WHEN ITS HALF OF WHAT IT WAS!

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a blanket statement, but the last five years I worked in newspapers, the idiots in charge of the newsroom seemed to care only about cutting salaries and still being able to publish on time. I don't remember any real conversations about content or quality.

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Unless an advertiser bitched about his kid not getting proper coverage.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Too true.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The plot thickens. This doesn't have to do with the Advocate being in New Orleans... or does it? Hmmm...

http://blog.nola.com/updates/2013/04/nolacom_the_times-picayune_to.html#incart_river

9. JackS

JackS Member

Anybody know anything about Black & Gold Extra? Will TPStreet end that endeavor?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Talk about a U-turn ...

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Here's what I think of when I see the name TP Street.

[​IMG]

A weak attempt to undo the wrong of moving to a three-day week production. RMJ at his finest!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You said it. Just go back to giving the folks the paper on a regular basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted