1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batman Begins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baloo, May 26, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, according to the storyline of DKR, he's been retired for 10-15 years.

If the supposedly-rumored Batman/Superman sequel comes to pass, I doubt it will be a direct takeoff of "DKR", but somewhat of an adaptation.

OTOH, Supeman's inviolable code against killing might be put to the test, if he found one particular person was responsible for the destruction of Krypton (and maybe threatening the same for Earth). Part of the plotline of the upcoming "Superman Returns" involves Superman taking 5 years to investigate whether he really is the last survivor of the planet.

2. I remember the original "Batman" being highly regarded. Heck, I liked it when it came out but I was 8 or 9. Hindsight being what it is, the original isn't even that good. Nicholson made the movie. Keaton was good and Basinger and Wuhl annoyed me. The second was good because of Walken, Devito and Pfieffer. And of course the last two sucked donkey balls. But nothing even compares to "Batman Begins." I think I watched it three nights straight after getting it on DVD, that's how good it is.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Realistic? Didn't that train leave the station when a guy dressed as a flying bat showed up?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

With some of the wierd shit on THIS planet? You're kidding, right?
    My point was avoiding super powers and the supernatural. The bottom line is the guy in the costume is human.

I don't see them doing something like Dark Knight Returns with the philosophical debate between Superman and Batman. Superman is nothing more than a government lackey in that story, Batman's superior in power, but inferior in every other way.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, the first Batman was a huge hit when it came out. I still think it's pretty good but BB is in an entirely different class.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

As has been written many times, Burton made a movie about the Joker and titled it Batman.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Superman isn't as good as Kobe, D-Wade or LeBron. [/pho-real]

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

"Batman" doesn't hold up well at all. Nicholson puts on an overacting clinic, Keaton is too subdued and the rest of the cast, save Basinger is low rent. (Robert Whul? Jerry Hall? Phuleeez). I mean, "Batman Begins" had frickin' Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman in small roles.

9. Baloo

Baloo Member

And don't forget Rutger Hauer...or didn't you "get the memo?" ;)

According to this site, http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/705/705640p1.html it doesn't sound like bettany will be the joker.

10. Baloo

Baloo Member

It's Batman bonanza day on hbo. Just saw the original - it's good, though Nicholson does chew scenery like a cow on steroids - have B&R on in the background - even worse than I remembered. Has Chris O'Donnell been heard from since? He doesn't deserve to. Uma Thurman has nothing going for her but looks. Not Alicia Silverstone's finest hour, for sure, but she was cute in clueless.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In B and R, Silverstone is fat and has this weird thing she does with her mouth when she talks. Like she's literally trying to talk out the side.

Thurman . . is luminous. She is not a bad actress, ever.

O'Donnell is on Gray's Anatomy, as the vet who Meredith practically guaranteed he was gonna get some the night of the season finale, then she ran off to bang McDreamy instead. If the season premiere becoimes "in addition," that would make her character a bit of a . . loose person.

12. Baloo

Baloo Member

wow, I didn't realize that was o'donnell. that's quite a step down, from movies to bit role in tv series, even if it is a highly rated tv series.

Have to disagree on thurman. Mostly she just sucks. She certainly sucks bigtime in B&R.

Draft saved Draft deleted