1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batman Begins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baloo, May 26, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And the thing that gripes me ... Batman doesn't use guns. His parents were shot to death and so he vowed not to ever use a gun.

Aarrrgh.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I'm pretty sure I read in Entertainment Weekly or something a few months back that while they definitely want to do another Batman movie to follow up on "Begins", it wouldn't be out for at least 2 or 3 years because of conflicting schedules for everybody they want to bring back. IMDB.com lists 2008, but also adds that it's in pre-production, so that date is more of a guess than anything. I'm also pretty sure that Katie Holmes' character is out for the next one.

And another name to throw into the Joker list: Mark Hamill.

Don't laugh. He did the voice for the Joker in the Batman and Justice League cartoons in the '90s and when the sequel talk started last spring around this time, there was a decent amount of support for him from the cartoon fanboys.

3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

From what I've read, Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan are signed on to make two more Batman movies. The joker is going to be the bad guy in the next one, and right now Paul Bettany is the leading candidate to play the joker. For a while they were considering having Steve Carrel play the joker, which would be awesome as far as I'm concerned.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They have the perfect setup to get rid of the Holmes character:

1) They need to establish the Joker as a vengeful psycho killer early in the movie. They can't kill Alfred, or Jim Gordon, because they are crucial to future storylines.

2) The Joker killing off the Holmes character gives Bruce/Batman a direct revenge motive against the Joker personally. The tension in the modern Batman-Joker storylines comes from the fact while you know the Joker would certainly kill Batman given the chance, unlike almost any other foe, Batman would probably also kill the Joker if it came down to it.

3) They should definitely establish one main villain, with a secondary villain making only a token appearance. Otherwise, the storylines get too cluttered up explaining the backstories, etc.

4) The Rutger Hauer character definitely will be heard from again, as will little Dick Grayson (the kid Holmes helped rescue at the end of Begins).

5. Baloo

Baloo Member

I hope Crane/Scarecrow is also heard from again. Just saw it again on hbo and Cillian Murphy really is excellently creepy.
    And on second viewing, it is also very obvious they left Ra's' demise very much open-ended.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I can't wait for the sequel. Hell, I'm watching the movie again tonight.

7. Baloo

Baloo Member

I feel the same way. 2008 (as per IMDB) is a long way off. At least I hope that means the script will be as good as for BB, and not some rushed job to satisfy the studio.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly. Christian Bale was so good in Begins, I even watched Newsies.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed. "A gun is a coward's weapon, a liar's weapon."

10. Korgoth of Barbaria

Korgoth of Barbaria Active Member

Humans are 90% water. Why didn't the microwave thing vaporize everyone in the city as well?

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Granted, I saw this movie on the back of a Song airline seat -- not the ideal cinematic venue -- but I thought it was horribly disjointed. Just all over the place, like somebody cut-and-pasted the cool parts of five different comic books into one story, saved the transitions for the next movie.

Morgan Freeman and Ken Watanabe as always deserve more screen time, and I liked Bale as Batman.

That said, I can't render any comment on this film without three words: Katie Holmes' nipples. I was waiting in the credits for "Guy Who Kept The Set Thermostat at 58 Degrees Near the End of The Film."

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hey. I've been looking for you.

I need a sword.

I have vermin to kill.

Draft saved Draft deleted