1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batman 3? (Dark Knight spoilers included)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenlantern, Jul 19, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I doubt we'll see Robin in this franchise, but if done properly (like it was in Dark Victory), it could work.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't have Bane breaking his back -- and don't see how you could do it and fit it all in one movie. You'd have to blitz through Knightfall so fast it'd lose a lot of the drama. Only way you could work in Azrael is if Bats did get his back broken, and the cops or someone else stepped up in the void with a new version of Batman that eventually went over the line. Seems like an awful lot to cram an entire 2-year long storyline into 2 hours, though.
    Still, I'd love to see that 30-45 minute sequence of Batman rounding up the Arkham loonies one after the other, and getting increasingly worn out in the process. A fight with Firefly, for example, could be a great 5-10 minute action sequence. Same with that scene from Knightfall where he saves the mayor in the flooding tunnel.

Someone said earlier that this would be a rehash of the Batman Begins scene. I'd have to disagree. In that one, they never did much with the Arkham guys. They were let out and just wandered around. Batman scared them away at one point, but they didn't play a pivotal role. In this one, they'd be a huge threat and we'd get to see a little more focus on a few of them.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The problem with No Man's Land is that the premise is stolen from Escape from New York. It's fine for the comics, but that might be bothersome in the theaters.

And really, as much as I enjoyed all of No Man's Land, the best parts of it had the Joker.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When they do recast the Joker, I know it would be a longshot, but it might just be fun to see ...

[​IMG]

5. Keaton as the Joker after being Batman?
    I like him, but he couldn't do it justice after what Ledger just did.

6. Starman

I dunno that anybody really could, but... I posted it halfway as a joke, but thinking back on "Beetlejuice" (which I haven't seen for a few years), Keaton did give the character a lot of weird little random tics -- kinda like Ledger's lips-licking.

Obviously Beetlejuice is more goofy and zany, while the Joker is sadistic and homicidal. But about 2/3 of the performance carries over.

And it would make sense, after (presumably) 5-6 years of hard prison time until the Joker returns (plus, probably, injuries and extensive chemical scarring after the obligatory escape from Arkham to explain his changed appearance), that the Joker might be a little bit worn down, a bit less manic, than Ledger was. (Keaton would be 60-62 when that movie comes out).

In the classic Batman comics from the 1940s/50s, the Joker was not portrayed as a young guy -- he was certainly older than Batman. We didn't see enough of Ledger's face in "TDK" to get any idea of his age other than he was pretty energetic and physical.

7. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

This is what I put on one of the numerous other Bat-threads. A Zodiak-like killer, very OCD, very introverted, insecure little man who finds a way to lash out.

But the Riddler, who is too often confused as a Joker lite, would set a different tone and allow Nolan to explore the Batman as a true detective. We get bits and pieces, but this character could really push the limits of the Batman's intelligence. Something to show that the Batman can't always punch his way out of a situation.

Other than that, Penguin could be just a greedy, fat man who is a shrewd arms dealer that helps refinance the mob after Joker burned all that cash.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

They absolutely, positively cannot keep the Joker in any form. People won't accept it. It's one thing to recast a role played by an actor who died, and another thing entirely to replace someone after an absolutely iconic performance.

I think the Riddler could be done well, though I can't immediately think of who it should be (not that Ledger would have been in my first 50 thoughts for Joker a few years ago) and Riddler seems a little similar to Joker.

This series has been about being original and smart and dark and edgy. I just can't imagine how to do Catwoman original and smart and dark and edgy. I assume they could figure it out, I just don't know what that looks like.

9. Starman

Oh sure they can. What's the rule, you can only replace somebody if they do a bad job?

It's not going to be next week, or even next year. It'll be 4-7 years down the road most likely. By that time the multitudes will be over the death of Ledger.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think AB's point was that he can't be in the next one, which is likely two or three years away.

And I'm not even sure four to seven years is enough ... hell, before word of Ledger's actual performance got out, people wondered if he could top Nicholson's Joker and that move came out damn near 20 years ago.

11. Starman

Oh, it would be a big mistake to bring the Joker back in the next movie (and it would have been even if Ledger was still alive).

Better to take a thematic break for a film (maybe two), let a few more baddies like Catwoman, Riddler and Penguin have a crack at him, then maybe work toward a final chapter in 2014 or so when "the Batman family settles all accounts," capping off with the return of the Joker and R'as Al Ghul.

12. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

When I left the theater, my thought was that the next movie would probably center around Catwoman. Batman is on the run and his reputation is tarnished ... for a little while, Catwoman could also skirt the line between good and evil and provide a contrast for Batman, while also serving as a love interest replacement for Rachel Dawes.

Since the new series seems to have two villains per movie, you have to think they'll throw in Scarecrow, Bane, Riddler, Poison Ivy (underrated imo), or Penguin for good measure. My money is on Riddler or Penguin, since they weren't afraid to use two good villains in each of the first two movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted