1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batman 3? (Dark Knight spoilers included)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenlantern, Jul 19, 2008.

1. If you can, I'd at least watch Batman Begins. This is a direct sequel to that and will give you all the background you need on the world of Batman.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Echan: Your Bane theory is flawed in that the first film already had the "Oh NO!!! Arkham asylum has been emptied!!!" plotline.

Also: it's nice to look at the ending of dark Knight as showing that "Oh NO!!! Batman will be hunted by the cops now!!!" But in actuality, he has spent most of these two films getting hunted by the cops.

They've got to be as original as possible in the next one. Too much cliche in Dark Knight.

3. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Point taken. Was with the gf while watching TDK and I should have remembered that basic plot element from BB. I echoed this earlier on one of the other TDK threads, but I like the idea of introducing the Riddler as a Zodiac-like serial killer with a unique twist of OCD (not my idea, just can't remember who first said it). That being said, who would make a good Riddler?

Jim Carrey? Already has experience in the role and showed a darker side in "The Number 23," but he hasn't shown the acting chops that everyone else in the series has shown. Would be interesting to see the same actor play the same guy, but take two completely different takes on that character.

Clive Owen & Adrien (sp?) Brody seem like decent enough choices, especially since the Riddler is considered Joker-Lite.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, I don't really think they darkened the characters that much if you compare it to the comics. If anything, the Joker is worse in the comics and Batman is every bit as dark.

I really don't see why anybody has described Dark Knight as nihilistic, either. Moody and depressing at times, sure, but there are hopeful scenes in it as well, such as scenes with the people on the boats refusing to blow one another up.

5. I agree with that. When you have a convict throwing away what they believe is the only chance for their group to live, that's a pretty bright ray of light.

6. I am not a comic book guy, so I'm going to take your word for it as far as how dark the characters are in the movie compared to the comics. I meant in terms of the mainstream movies. Clearly, it wouldn't take much to darken the Riddler from the flamboyant Jim Carrey but I think a lot of mainstream perception of The Riddler remains from that movie. I think the same was said of the Jack Nicholson Joker, the other Batmans, etc.

7. outofplace

True enough. But it does explain the difference in the comments from one poster to another. Somebody like Piotr or myself comes at it from a completely different perspective.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Didn't Batman have a story line where he was on the run from the police?
    Seems like I recall one, and then you had the one where Bruce Wayne was wanted for murder.
    I think the next up is Catwoman and the original plan probably would have been her and Ledger back as the Joker. But now, I think, they'll make it a little like the Fugitive, maybe mix in some problem for Bruce Wayne, and then throw in the Catwoman.
    Or they could go completely different and work in Robin.

9. outofplace

I think they are too early in Batman's career for Robin.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Way too early. No Robin, no Batgirl, no Mr. Freeze, no Bane, no Penguin, no Catwoman (as the big bad)...

meh, I can't really think of where Nolan to go in his universe.. Kind of at a lost. Tho, if he could pull off the Joker at Arkham, maybe have small buildup of Harley Quinn. Maybe Black Mask?

11. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

I'm not nearly as much of a Batman fan as some on this board, but I think to try to top TDK they are going to have a well known villain for the next movie — just like the Joker was the big draw this time.

So that would be either Catwoman, Penguin or Riddler. People aren't going to pay $10 a movie to see a character they don't know.

Just my 2 cents.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

If Nolan does follow Knightfall, please God, no broken back and no Azreal.

Personally, I'd rather see Cataclysm or No Man's Land-type story. Earthquake tears apart Arkham, loonies set free. Bats spends two hours rounding up baddies. Throw in Catwoman for good measure.

If done right, Ventriloquist (?) could be very, very creepy on the big screen.

Robin won't be in the next one.

Draft saved Draft deleted