1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batman 3? (Dark Knight spoilers included)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenlantern, Jul 19, 2008.

1. I agree Catwoman makes the most sense, but I could see a really dark Penguin working.
    In fact, DeVito did a version of that. It was too cartoony to work in these films, but it shows me it can be done.
    Now, I haven't yet seen a Riddler that I could imagine in this universe, but how could you doubt the series at this point?

2. I actually think you get the Riddler to work. With the way this series flawlessly darkens its characters, I think Nolan could come up with a Riddler who is crazy and diabolical enough to fit the mold.

That said, Catwoman is the obvious choice it would seem. There was the aforementioned nod to cats in TDK.

As for the RObin talk, I'm not sure if Nolan shot it down but I do know Christian Bale said he would never play Batman in a movie that has the Robin character.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

When I walked out the theater Friday morning, I said to myself that I don't want Catwoman anywhere near this series. I have since given it thought and, if done right, it would be awesome.

Set her up as one of the only people that "accepts" Batman for what he is, flaws and all, and it wouldn't be that tough to finish the film on Batman's choice of staying to save Gotham or going his own way and going towards what could be (for him anyway) a normal life. Granted, that includes violence and whatnot and no one will buy into it, but the tension would be sweet.

As for Riddler, I don't know why people think it wouldn't work. Nolan could craft him in the mold of the Joker, but more of the "I'll fuck with your mind" variety than the "Oh, look, a puppy. I'm gonna eat it" variety.

As I said before, I thought Batman Forever set the character up nicely, for the first 20 minutes at least.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, who plays the Riddler? Carrot Top?

I'm just gonna throw out a bunch of names (all would probably be terrible).

Dennis Leary
    Kevin Spacey
    Mark Wahlberg
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman (I'd actually like to see him, though.)

5. schiezainc

How about.....

[​IMG]

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The mob's control of the city has been played up so much, it's gotta be the Penguin. He takes over the mobs, and represents the massive figure who, if Batman defeats him, the mob finally becomes powerless. The Riddler is Joker Lite. If they do have a Catwoman, their take on it will be just fine.

But as for reason to doubt this franchise at this point . . . . absolutely there is. They just put out a movie that was a little too predictable (at least, for my taste), with a performance and villain character who the film set up for us to see again, but who we won't be seeing again. They showed some great creativity in having Ra's Al Ghul and the Scarecrow (and Falcone) in the first film, and maybe they can pull it off again.

But depending on how honest the Nolans are about what their plans would have been had Ledger lived, I wonder if we'll look back on his death as the moment the franchise unavoidably lost its way.

It's certainly the moment that caused people to regard a very, very good superhero movie as something that is "Oscar-worthy."

7. schiezainc

Well said. I was thinking about that last night wondering how much more powerful Ledger's performance would have been if it was in the final film in this series.

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

There's been a lot of talk about introducing Catwoman, but if you look at the Batman canon, her goals aren't quite as big-picture as Ra's' or the Joker's. The Penguin is too cartoonish. I can see potential in bringing in the Riddler, but there's just something about his character's nature that I have trouble picturing Nolan using.

Organized crime has been a central theme in BB & TDK, so so it's safe to say that it could be that way again in the third flick (Knightfall, anyone?). A great many organized crime figures are now locked up or dead, creating a huge power vaccuum in the Gotham City underworld. Ra's Al Ghul may be dead, but I'm sure the League of Shadows persists and they know who Batman is. Maybe one of Ghul's top lieutenants -- one who is highly intelligent, skilled in hand-to-hand combat & doesn't mind taking experimental PEDs -- takes up his position and comes up with a plan.

The LoS still wants to see Gotham burn down, but knows Batman will be waiting. He can take on one focused attack, but what about smaller, multiple assaults with different methods and criminals. Now that Batman is a hunted fugitive and will receive no overt help from police, he's at a point of weakness. The new leader will set free as many criminals and sociopaths as he can, simultaneously weakening Batman while destroying Gotham. Then when he's at his seemingly weakest, the new leader attacks Batman in his own home.

Ladies & gentlemen, I feel that the best possible new villain is Bane.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You had me until that last ampersand.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So with all the hubbub, I am eager to see Ledger play the Joker. I haven't seen any of the Batman movies. Is it a requisite before one sees The Dark Knight?

11. Spacey might not be interested since he's already done the supervillain thing as Lex Luthor (and was, by far, the highlight of that film), but I'd love to see him tackle The Riddler.
    PSH would be pretty cool as well.
    Ledger showed me the most important part of playing a villain, at least for this series, is to play it believably crazy.
    He pulled that off better than anyone I've ever seen in a comic book villain role.
    As great as Ledger was in this performance, I think now that others have the template, they are some awesome actors out there who can follow his lead and even expand on it.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Maybe...not really...although I'd highly advise watching Batman Begins.

EDIT: This was meant for Xan.

Draft saved Draft deleted