1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bathroom remodeling question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 7, 2012.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I really appreciate all the opinions, guys. This is a really big decision we've been wrestling with for a couple of months. And, now, the time is upon us to make this thing happen or not. February is about our only window to get this thing knocked out, as my unit will be ramping up for the deployment beginning in March.

The pitching coach is on her way to the mound. I emailed the Realtor we'll be using when we sell the house. She's going to come take a look for us Tuesday and give us her two cents.

Living in a military community, the real estate markets are ALWAYS soft, so we want to make sure we don't step on our collective dicks by limiting ourselves to a smaller number of buyers. When we bought this house two-and-a-half years ago, there were 16, yes, SIXTEEN houses for sale on our street (we live in a HUGE subdivision). We liked this house enough to buy it, so with a fresh coat of paint and some new carpet, we feel like we'd be competitive in selling it as is. We just want to be damned sure we don't have a problem selling it when we leave in less than two years.

We do have an advantage, however. My company will be the first in the division to deploy, so it'll be the first one back. Hopefully, that's before anyone else has time to get a for sale sign in front of theirs.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If you are aiming to sell the house don't dare take a tub out of a master bath. The idea in sales is to appeal to as many as possible with the idea that statistically one will match up. You don't want to limit that number up front, and useless in functionality or not, a tub is a necessity for many buyers.

3. three_bags_full

That's what we're afraid of. Hopefully, we'll find out Tuesday how restrictive it would be.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I should have added that I'm pro regular tub. It seems weird to me to have a master bathroom without a tub.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And that is the way some people look at it, I agree. At a younger age, it's how I would have looked at it.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the opposite. The standing shower was big for me when we bought our house. Tubs seem childish to me. Then again, I am married with no plans for children and would rather have a finished basement with a bar over a garage...so not the typical buyer.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I shower at least once a day, haven't taken a bath in more than a decade, probably closer to two. But just about every woman I know enjoys a good soak, maybe not daily but at least once a week. Even just the idea that they can is important. I would go option three, and if possible maybe upgrade the tub in the other bathroom, especially if you have a half bath.

But it all depends on the cash you are willing to dump into the reno. If you're in a soft market where you may not see the return on the investment that you would in other places, lipstick on a pig is always a good way to go, especially if you're looking at moving on shortly, long term you're not doing it for you, take your emotional element out of it. Make it look good, make sure it is functional, but if you're not going to get the money back that you're putting into it, don't go big. Definitely consult your realestate agent they will have the best info for you regarding what sells in the neighborhood and what will get your money back.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Maybe I am just in touch with my feminine side, but I take a bath every day. Don't get me wrong, I don't use bubble bath or salts. But the half-hour soak in hot water is something I wouldn't want to do without.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That totally makes you a girl, dude :p

For me I've always been to big for most tubs in places I've lived at 6'4". Lived in too many places with shallow, stubby little tubs, which means no soaking and a general pain in the ass when it comes to bathing properly. For me it's all about the shower, although if I could get a deep soaker, jetted tub, I imagine I would make use of it.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Frank, there are bath salts which are very bracing. Not girly at all. Expand your horizons. ;)

11. three_bags_full

Sounds like Frank and Moddy would a pretty good couple. One likes baths; the other has a shoe fetish.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My ideal bathroom would have a giant shower with water nozzles everywhere.

I'd really like a "wet area" with both a giant shower and a tub.

My one current luxury is the Westin Heavenly Shower Head:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-Heavenly-Dual-Showerhead-Chrome/dp/B0039OES4I

Draft saved Draft deleted