1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bathroom Attendants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 4, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hate them.

Don't want to have to pay a buck to take a piss, and rather than making a place seem classy, it makes 'em feel like a strip joint.

I always feel like they're keeping track of how many times I piss, too.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

First of all, I don't wash my hands—Hemingway never washed his hands

That's disgusting.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I bet the bathroom attendants' union, Local Nos. 1 and 2, is not going to happy about this.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The only place it bugs me is Douglas International Airport in Charlotte. Makes no sense.
    It's the only airport that I can think of that has bathroom attendants.

In restaurants I'm always entertained by the array of toiletries that the attendant has.
    Will add an extra buck for cloth towel and right mix of hot and cold water. A third Washington if back of suit / shoulders are brushed while washing hands.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hemingway also blew his brains out.

6. The reason, sadly and stupidly, is so the airport can get away with not paying janitors. Yes, those annoying men and women enthusiastically asking how your flight was, have agreed to clean the john for your tip money. Pretty cheap on CLT's part. If not for the Bojangle's in terminal B, I'd hate flying there because of that.

Sometimes you just want to piss in peace.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the person having that job, so I'll usually toss a buck his way. But, being an older dude, I may have to pee three or four times during a restaurant or bar visit and that gets expensive.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When we visited Moscow, porta potties were a business. Someone owns a small clusters and charges a couple rubles per use.

They were the cleanest portable johns I've ever seen.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am more inclined to tip coat-check or valet.
    I don't have much of a problem with bathroom attendants in five-star places.
    Not crazy about someone else holding a towel I am about to use to dry my hands, though.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember pay toilets in airports (JFK I know had them as recently as the mid-1980s) and a lot of gas stations in large cities (notably L.A.) have pay restrooms. At least then you have a reasonable expectation the facilities will be clean and/or not be a hangout for homeless people.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was in a strip club years ago and this drunken meathead comes into the bathroom, does his business and then washes his hands... The attendant quietly steps up, puts a towel near the guy's hand and then steps back. The guy wipes off his hands and throws the towel on the sink. He then sees the tip bowl and looks at the attendant.

"What? You want a tip? Maybe if you'd wiped my ass..."

Classy...

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A lot of times I'm cashless, so I feel like a dick when I can't leave a tip.

Draft saved Draft deleted