1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BASW Submission Deadline Approaching

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Glenn Stout, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

The deadline for submissions to The Best American Sports Writing 2009, for material published in the calendar year 2008, is February 1, 2009. Leigh Montville will be the guest editor.

Writers, editors and readers are all welcome – and encouraged - to submit stories for consideration. For full instructions on how to submit, please see below, read the foreword to the 2008 edition or go to glennstout.net.

Writers and /or editors of magazines are particularly encouraged to provide a complimentary subscription to the address listed below. Writers for online publications and online editors are reminded that submissions from online publications are encouraged, but submissions must be made in n hard copy – due to the vast number of submissions I receive I cannot accept electronic (i.e. e-mail) submissions.

If you or your editor would like to receive an annual e-mail reminder of the deadline, please send the e-mail address to the e-mail address below. The Best American Sports Writing is also an open group on facebook - I am trying to do everything I can to encourage submissions.

Thank you for all your help and please contact me by e-mail (no pm's please) if you have any questions.

Best,

Glenn Stout
    PO BOX 549
    Alburgh, VT 05440
    baswed@yahoo.com

As series editor I encourage everyone to submit any story or stories you think are worthy of inclusion, including those of your friends and colleagues. Writers, readers, and all other interested parties should feel free to alert me to either your own work or that of someone else according to the following criteria:

Each story

-Must be column length or longer.
    -Must have been published in 2008.
    -Must not be a reprint or book excerpt.
    -Must be published in the United States or Canada.
    -Must be received by February 1, 2009.

All submissions must include the name of the author, date of publication, publication name and address. Photocopies, tear-sheets pdf printouts or clean copies are fine. Readable reductions to 8 1/2 x 11 are preferred. Submissions from on-line publications must be made in hard copy, and those who submit stories from newspapers should submit the story in hard copy or pdf as published. Since newsprint generally suffers in transit, newspaper stories are best copied and then mounted on 8 ½ x 11 paper, and, if the story also appeared on-line, with the appropriate URL attached. There is no limit to the number of submissions either an individual or a publication may make, but please use common sense. Due to the volume of material I receive, no submission can be returned or acknowledged. I also believe it is inappropriate for me to comment on or critique any individual submission.

No electronic submissions will be accepted by e-mail, although stories that only appeared on-line are eligible. Please send all submissions by U.S. Mail as weather conditions in midwinter mean I often can't receive UPS or Fed Ex submissions. Please try to hit the deadline. Each year I receive dozens of stories too late to be considered, and dozens more that do not identify the source or author. In the event a story is selected for publication, your publication will be contacted concerning rights and permissions.

Please send to:

Glenn Stout
    P.O. Box 549
    Alburgh, VT 05440

FOUR FAQ's:

1) "Why do newspaper submissions have to be made in hard copy?"

I don't fully understand myself (nor do I agree) but the publisher's production department demands it, so in the event a story is selected, it is far easier to have it in hand than try to track it down months and months after publication. So please do your best. If you absolutely positively can't make a copy from the newsprint, send the print out, but there are no guarantees and be prepared to provide the hard copy if necessary.

2) "Why can't I just e-mail you a link and/or a story?"

I already receive hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of submissions by mail - sometimes dozens by the same source. If I accepted e-mail submissions I suspect there are writers and publications that would send me everything and it would turn an already daunting task into an overwhelming one. Fifty pieces of mail a day I can handle, hundreds of links/urls/pdfs, all that would have to be printed out, I can't.

3) "Is the deadline really February 1?"

Yes. Always has been, always will be. Book production schedules are as tight as those of newspapers and magazines. If you have not submitted by then, please don't.

4) "What do you mean Fed Ex and UPS won't deliver to you in midwinter?

You haven't seen my driveway. And from November to April, I usually don't either.

Other questions/comments? Email me at basweditor@yahoo.com. Hundreds of letters to magazine and newspaper editors requesting submissions are also being sent out in the next few days, as well as some e-mail reminders.

Thanks to all,

Glenn

Draft saved Draft deleted