1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BASW sign of the coming apocalypse?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 1, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I have every confidence that you'll call down fire from the skies and scorch the earth with God's mighty apocalyptic wrath in 2008. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Maybe it was a tongue-in-cheek selection by the editor(s) -- as in a notably bad story?

3. No way. It was the one about how black kids have a better shot at making the NBA than being a sports writer. I'm sure he thought it was edgy.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The real sign of the sportswriting Apocolypse: David Foster Wallace's piece about Roger Federer, which was not selected for the main part of the book, was also not mentioned in the back in the "noteable" section. I know the scuttlebut says that because DFW is the editor of Best American Essays this year, Houghton Mifflin wanted to avoid the appearance of a conflict, but c'mon. Not even a noteable mention for what might have been the best piece of the year?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a huge difference between making the notable list and making the book... Although, I must admit that making the notable list twice is mentioned very prominently on my resume and cover letter... ;D

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

ESPN.com copy desk.

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

ESPN has a copy desk for page 2?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sorry, I didn't think blue font was needed there.

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Whoops, my bad. I am idiotic at 10:30 am.

Draft saved Draft deleted