1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BASW 2009

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Glenn Stout, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

The contents for The Best American Sports Writing 2009, guest edited by Leigh Montville and available soon, have been posted on my website, glennstout.net.

Congratulations and thanks to all.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No Albom and an appearance by Jonesy... well done...

Tho with a Wright Thompson piece the Book must be the size of "The Arms of Krupp"

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nice to see Thomas Lake getting some attention. He'll be in there next year as well with his SI story on the softball players who carried the girl around the bases.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm just gonna assume I made it into the book and the email/letter indicating as much got lost in the mail...AGAIN!!!

Thanks Glenn! I appreciate it! :D

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thanks, Glenn.

Always waiting for this.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I love seeing names I recognize.

I remember when Amby Burfoot was in southeastern Connecticut, running and writing about running. He them moved to Emmaus, Pa., for his work at Runner's World.

Those were the great days of road racing, him and another former Boston Marathon winner (Johnny "The Younger" Kelley) running in a race named after a third Boston Marathon winner, Tarzan Brown.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Am I right in that the only newspaper entry here is from the Miami New Times? Intriguing.

Looking forward to this release next month. Always good for some brainstorming and inspiration.

EDIT: BTW, Lisa Taddeo is an incredibly original profile writer. I pick up something new in everything she writes.

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

looks like mike wise from the washington post is there. but that's the only other newspaper story i saw.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Now seems as appropriate a time as any to congratulate you, Glenn, on the publication of the 20th volume of Best American Sports Writing. Thank you for reading more than any of us, for weeding out the best features, for inspiring some of us to dedicate our own lives to writing words and telling stories. As long as you continue to read hundreds of newspapers and magazines (and Web sites) each year, I will continue to purchase Best American Sports Writing, at full price, from local booksellers. My favorite purchase each year.

Also, if you are under the impression that any old Wright Thompson feature will swell a book several hundred pages, just wait until next year. "Father Bear" checks in at 5,732 words. "Ghosts of Mississippi", published in February and, I have to think, a heavy favorite for inclusion in BASW 2010, checks in at 14,880 words. Go chop down some more trees, Glenn.

10. Which Burfoot story is that? His feature on Ryan Shay (the marathoner who died at the Olympic trials) was incredible, but I think that was two years ago.

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Burfoot on his own experiences in the 1968 Boston Marathon.

The man can run and write. I am so jealous.

12. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Thanks OHB, but this is actually edition #19 - the first was BASW 1991, guest edited by David Halberstam. Much of edition # 20 is currently sitting in a BIG pile in the corner of my living room, next to the wood stove, waiting for me to read.

And BTW, Leigh Montville addresses the question about newspaper stories vis a vis stories from other sources in his intro, and I have done the same in the past in the foreword of the book.

Until next year...

Draft saved Draft deleted